Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here it is,I've got a M45 JRSC on a '94 1.8 with bipes and a power card,It's been great but just recently I've felt the need for more power.

Without going mad and spending a fortune what would you guys recommend,and before you say do a search I have been reading for ages but it's quite confusing.

i've got a spare throttle body so could fit an inter cooler,but should i also speed up the super charger,but will I then need bigger injectors and management?

Sorry for all the questions,but I guess I'm looking for about 200hp? Is this possible without going mad?

· Registered
155 Posts
First step is management, everything else can follow.
This, but to get over 200 bhp you will need an intercooler and pulley changes with a M45

My brother did manage 195bhp with his M45 powered 1.8 with only a power card, a 150 overlay and standard 67.5 nose pulley, this was non intercooled, but I wouldn't recommend it as IATs were quite high.

David

· Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
Am in the same boat as you, it starts to get a bit expensive to get more power from here ECU , wideband 02, IAT sensor, Intercooler, crank-overlay, pulley, bigger injectors and dyno time, about a £1200 splash for 35-40 extra horses...

· Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Buy megasquirt, sell bipes and power card, get an eBay intercooler and pipework and possibly bigger injectors, wideband/and or tune on dyno you won't have much more power, if any but it will improve its driveability, mpg, reduce chances of issues and will be ready for spinning the crap out of the charger. Personally I'd sell it all and go turbo as your limited by the m45.

· Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
My AFR at max power was a bit on the `lean` side @ 175bhp on a recent Dyno run, currently running the beige 265cc std injectors with Powercard and Bipes - wasnt really expecting that as it drinks fuel and the emissions were a real struggle last years` MOT. I am going to have to go standalone ECU and wideband 02, how cheap can it be done without `doing it on the cheap?` What could I get for the (old-style) Powercard and Bipes to try and justify it with the misses?

· Premium Member
19,296 Posts
2nd hand MS1 and a cheap as chips 'spartan' Wideband sensor http://14point7.com/

Doable for £200 if your clever. Add more for bigger injectors obviously.

People that want bodges (an AFPR), because standalones are too expensive haven't looked properly and are copping out.

And the above can be upgraded to a MS2/3 as you go and keep everything under the missus radar

· Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
I can supply two different intercooler kits depending on style required.

Pm me if you want more info

cheers
Dan
Yes Dan an intercooler setup is also showing up in my tea leaves, probably a medium

· Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
I've got a 14.7 jaw wideband, was cheap, ms1 cost me under £250 with iat and loom. A dyno tune is what, around £220 odd.
And dan he's trying to keep it cheap, so a bit of leg work and bargains on eBay will be his friend here

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.