Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just out of interest really, im going to be looking at meggasquirt ecuing my track mk1 when ive got it fully on the road etc, but i was woundering what are the benifits of deleting the maf when fitting it? i gather there will be less of an restriction on the intake side of things, but how will the air fuel ratio work out etc..

spec of car will be as follows "if it matters?"

1. skimmed head
2. exhintake mod with cdf cam gears
3. raceing beat intake
4. raceing beat 4-1 headder
5. 440mm silenced de-cat
6. mx5 parts single exit cat back
7. i.l motorsport ultra light weight fly wheel
8. 8mm h/t leads

pluss the obvious vented headlamp lids/tsi's bigger rad with silicone hoses ect ect...

cheers.

· Registered
4,452 Posts
Absolutely no point in keeping it whatsoever if your going MS. Its a big ugly horrible piece of crap anyways
get rid

Edit: The air/fuel ratio you will tune through the MS software via a laptop and you will basically be using a map sensor instead of the AFM

· Engineers Do It Better.
293 Posts
The MAP sensor comes inside the MS, just needs a vac feed to be plumbed in from the inlet manifold (unless I've been misinformed, in which case correct me quick cos I'm kinda planning on this being the case!)

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay so what do i need to do in order to remove the maf then, as its obviosly not as smiple as just removing it lol.

· Registered
3,876 Posts
No its just as simple as removing it, if you go MS, just take it off, put a filter in its place and just run a vacuum line from inlet mani to MAP sensor on MS, job done! You would then tune the car off the MAP sensor using Speed Density as the algorithm.

· Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Yup I took mine off, you wire your iat into the afm plug and fit your ms vac line to your inlet. The only reason people keep the afm is to use the inbuilt iat, its a massive restriction, get rid!

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like mine will be comming off then

9,037 Posts
as drift says, MS can't even use the MAF signal anyway, it just uses the temp sensor inside it.
to remove it, you need new pipework, an air temp sensor, and to reflash your firmware on the MS for 'without MAF'

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the 1.8's maf isnt much better, not only is its inlet smaller than the 1.6's afm 70mm vs 76mm but it has a thing weird grill thing at the front of it and then just behind the grill the round pin thats quite thick for the sensor itself, so it must have about a 40% restriction.

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
really id of thought it would restrict it quite a bit? i dont quite get why there is the grill on the 1.8's maf to be honest, no current mazda has the same thing appart from the 1.6d's and they are PSA group engines, and considering its after the air filter i dont get what the need is, any way i suppose its there for a reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.