Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Some people will have noticed I bought an epically spec'd car which was pretty much unknown on the forum (rtb/Russell is certainly not a picture whore like me; that is for sure!). I haven't thought as far ahead as to decide what to do with the kitcar, but at the moment I think it will still be treated to a winter refresh because there isn't a lot left to do to the 5.

When it came up for sale I instantly knew everything was there which I could want, so I was straight on the phone to Russell and struck a deal within 10 minutes of the advert going live
. He is a sterling chap and despite the car being in serious need of a tune and a bit of tinkering, I am very happy with the base I have.

Every car I buy, I do so with the intention of keeping it for a long time, but then something better and/or a new experience comes up, the previous 'keeper' gets put in the corner like Baby. I will NOT do this, this time! I only have so much space so I am really at capacity with 2 cars which need to be in the garage! I also should really be focussing on decorating the house, but hey ho, you only live once.

True to form, I snapped some pics to start this journey and as the missus didn't take much persuading to be in the shots. She loves the 5 which is a very good thing, but also loves the kitcar so it doesn't help make any decisions. Damn her for being so understanding

Pics

Never before have I had something totally unrelated thrown in to seal the deal, but I ended up coming away from Russells with this too! hahaha, it should be a giggle.

(she didn't go very far on it with those shoes on! )

Initial to do list:
  • Raybrig headlights and new matts (bought from Mountain on here)
  • Full check over of the engine.
  • Oil change (what's in there is like new, but as Pro-S has never let me down, I want to get some of that in there before we go for ultimate power on the rollers).
  • Mapping
......with plenty more to come.........

·
Payday! Aaaand it's gone.....
2,870 Posts
I was a couple of grand short in the kitty, before I could even think about pulling out the credit card I seen that the deposit was taken!

At least the goped is in good hands!
( the car isn't bad either)

Another bonkers Madda car to watch!

·
XIII and counting. ..
2,533 Posts
Did the fun factor of kit car run out and reality of it's usability shine through?
Great buy and do like the way/standard you do them,

Initial to do list:
  • New hoseclamps
EDIT
Darn, Fuji Racing's CO said me when I asked that the ITB's arent suitable for FI'd and I sold them.
Amazed that the intake manifolds red tubes (from IAC) press locks hold the pipes under pressure.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Did the fun factor of kit car run out and reality of it's usability shine through?

Initial to do list:
  • New hoseclamps
EDIT
Darn, Fuji Racing's CO said me when I asked that the ITB's arent suitable for FI'd and I sold them.
The kitcar.....the danger of it is top of the downside list.

New hoseclamps are a given.

I hope we can get it running spot on. What was there reason? If they have to come off it will be a real shame.
Quite a few cars run them now, and run them well, but, it is seen as a lot of money for a small amount of gain. Russell did it to be different, and did it properly as you can see, so we will try and see how it goes. As long as they are 100% balanced I can't see how it can be an issue.

Doesn't an RB26 essentially run ITB's? (I should know, I put one in an s13 but my memory is shocking).

·
Registered
197 Posts
I personally love the car but, it would'nt be everybody cup of tea and thats cool.

I have always enjoyed your projects and it will interesting where you take this one.

The missus looks great too!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts

Initial to do list:
  • New hoseclamps
EDIT
Doesn't an RB26 essentially run ITB's? (I should know, I put one in an s13 but my memory is shocking).[/quote]

Yep, as does the SR20 in the nissan pulsar

·
XIII and counting. ..
2,533 Posts
I hope we can get it running spot on. What was there reason? If they have to come off it will be a real shame.
Quite a few cars run them now, and run them well, but, it is seen as a lot of money for a small amount of gain. Russell did it to be different, and did it properly as you can see, so we will try and see how it goes. As long as they are 100% balanced I can't see how it can be an issue.
Yes, it isnt unheard to run ITBs with FI. Just that the CO of Fuji Racing told me that they arent suitable for FI'd because it will leak and now I'm founding that it isnt so

Balancing that setup must be a nightmare.

I think there is plenty of room for upgrade with bigger intake box with longer trumpets and on turbo side Absurd Flow/ARTech/Trackspeed Engineering exhaust manifold and downpipe. You dont end up far in balance if you sell the FM set.
Had a drive on RINS +300hp 10th anniversary that is running ARTech+3"pd&exhaust, money very very well spent indeed.

Where was the sale ad as I soo it somewhere but cant remember it as I've been crawling back and forth through all of those?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi all

I will watch with interest......tune wise the car has never let me down......joe is right in saying it could do with some extra dyno time....
With regards to itb's........like most mods to a five......pretty easy to sort etc......or just use oem inlet etc.

Oh and joe...your girl looks much better than you in the car....even if she struggled to see over the steering wheel...lol......

Regards

Russell

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Looking great!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Amazed that the intake manifolds red tubes (from IAC) press locks hold the pipes under pressure.
The connectors are rated to 10 bar. What sort of boost is it making?

[/quote]

Those seats with subframe etc...now best part of £2000...now....check reverie carbon steering wheel...+£500....god what was I thinking...lol...er and n2's.......got to stop feeling faint.....just had to do it right.......

Regards

Russell

·
PANDAfactory
4,833 Posts
Will watch this with interest - has some potential.

What kind of numbers is it running now?

I think there is plenty of room for upgrade with bigger intake box with longer trumpets and on turbo side Absurd Flow/ARTech/Trackspeed Engineering exhaust manifold and downpipe. You dont end up far in balance if you sell the FM set.
Had a drive on RINS +300hp 10th anniversary that is running ARTech+3"pd&exhaust, money very very well spent indeed.
Money waiting here if you do move the FM bits on.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.