Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I have done it again, partly because I can't resist a bargain, partly because I have so many spares. But mainly because in my view it is a beautiful creation and I want to see where my limits are on track.

I have been spec'ing and tracking 5's for years now and have recently been looking at everything from Exiges to 997's but there was something which put me off each and every one of them…normally cost of consumables or the fact that they just aren't that much quicker than a 250bhp mx5.

So let me introduce….

IMG_4400_zps419ef9b1.jpg

If you have looked into these you will have seen this car. It was originally built for James Hayward (HMSMotorsport on here) to go and kick some ass in Time Attack and generally show what this kit can do. At the time, it was basic in the sense of nothing for it to be road registered was fitted and it utilised a Omex/throttle body combination. It did however have tubular subframes and such to take the total weight down to a mere 550kg.

Fast forward to now, lights have been added, sharp edges removed (spoiler wont be on there for MOT), and lots of extra bits have been added like extra gauges, a digital dash where every function is wired in and working (that's a first I have seen) and it even have a waterproof cigarette lighter socket….but that's the boring part!

IMG_4397_zps2138ff2a.jpg

IMG_4399_zps1c525da5.jpg

IMG_4393_zpsdab4e789.jpg

IMG_4386_zpsc3b3df7a.jpg

Interestingly a new Jackson Racing Supercharger, Cosworth FMIC (would need to come off for MOT given the sharp edge), and remap to 220bhp has been added to the mix.

IMG_4396_zpsc20289eb.jpg

IMG_4392_zps90892398.jpg

Safe to say she goes :D

I will be fitting the carbon fibre Tillet seats and Reverie CF steering wheel from the Mk1 to further reduce weight but other than that the immediate plan is just to give her a shakedown at a local circuit then hopefully take her to Spa on 10th October.

In the UK I will be trying it without the spoilers as if they are functional they will stay, but if they are not making any difference they will be removed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Are you driving it to Spa or trailer? I'm there on the 9th, would love to see this, (possibly bag a quick passenger ride). Heading back home on the 10th.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you driving it to Spa or trailer? I'm there on the 9th, would love to see this, (possibly bag a quick passenger ride). Heading back home on the 10th.
I'm not that mad!! It will be on a trailer if it comes. Arriving in the afternoon on 9th, returning on the 11th.

·
XIII and counting. ..
2,533 Posts
Not great fan of the looks, but it walks the walk so, it's like the say about the name, if product is good, it doesnt matter and if the product is bad, it doesnt matter. 550kg is similar to Westfield, altho this looks "bit" safer.

Is it running 1.6 or 1.8?

You could take it next winter a one step more mental.
Anyway, will sit back and wait the "results". Enjoy it in Good Healt ;)

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Should be pretty rapid in your hands mate, did you get it of Neil?

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Looks good, Joe. Will hopefully see it in action at Spa in a few weeks......
Hmmmm, think very few would say it looks good... it sounds like its an absolute weapon, but I just can't get past how ugly it is. Get some videos up ASAP, the view from the drivers seat must be the best view of this car!!

I'm assuming this should be able to keep up with most things on track ... and Spa should be a good test of it. I keep having thoughts about kits and this is not helping my future bank balance any!!

Russell.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should be pretty rapid in your hands mate, did you get it of Neil?
I did, great chap. Do you know him, John?

Looks good, Joe. Will hopefully see it in action at Spa in a few weeks......
Hmmmm, think very few would say it looks good... it sounds like its an absolute weapon, but I just can't get past how ugly it is. Get some videos up ASAP, the view from the drivers seat must be the best view of this car!!

I'm assuming this should be able to keep up with most things on track ... and Spa should be a good test of it. I keep having thoughts about kits and this is not helping my future bank balance any!!

Russell.
I have to disagree, massive compliments all round today. Three kids and one grown man asked to have their pic taken in it.

Looks to be a properly built motor, these are definitely growing on me. So are you keeping the other two???
Me too hence the purchase :D

One will need to be sold, but I am yet to decide which.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Yea I know Neil well, really nice guy, he goes to the same OC meets as me and is often at Castle Combe. He's had a lot of serious mx5's including a FM2 and LeMans in the past. Did you get the custom built trailer etc from him too?

Last time I saw him at Coombe he was limited by rear end grip even with R888 GG's being so light, so you might need to focus on improving that area, although you might be able to 'drive' around it!!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John,

I did get the trailer. Not towed it yet but it looks lovely and will be useful for anything mx5 size.

Rear end grip is interesting. Neil didn't mention it, but he did say he had never got it aligned or corner weighted. Tbh, looking at the camber currently on the rear wheels, a good setup will make a night and day difference.

Are you at Combe at all soon? I am considering this Friday, the 6th or the 14th for its shakedown.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
The trailer is really nice, it's nice you got that too.

Not surprised it's not been setup optimally, by Neil anyway, as he is just after some fun not serious about absolute performance and hasn't had it very long either. I didn't know he was thinking of selling it.

No I haven't got any plans to go to CC again this year, too busy unfortunately mate, Shame as would be good to see it in your hands.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts