Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference from a wideband afr and a narrow band?
i am looking at the lumention afr003 it is a narrow band four wire sensor i want to run it alongside my emb so i can keep a eye on how it is running would this be ok?

cheers

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
your car has a narrow band allready. You just need a ?30 gauge to read it.

The luminition stuff ive seen was all pre-war. The first one.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you please explain why I would need a wideband? I thought I would only need that if I wanted to use it linked to my emb for tuneing?
My car will be tuned on a rolling road.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
19,520 Posts
A Narrowband sensor reads Stoich (an AFR of 14.7:1 with petrol), if it's not stoich all it'll tell you is if it's richer or leaner, nothing more.

Not very useful when you want to keep an aye on your AFR's being 11.5:1 and all the gauge is doing is bounching between stoich and "rich"

A wideband will tell you the actual AFR at all times.

You need a Wideband.

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
Could you please explain why I would need a wideband? I thought I would only need that if I wanted to use it linked to my emb for tuneing?
My car will be tuned on a rolling road.
Cheers
ok, if you're getting the car tuned on a rolling road then they will have the all the sensors there, so in theory you don't really need to get a wideband O2 sensor. If you only ever intend to do any tuning on a rolling road then you could get away with it, however a wideband O2 sensor & guage is a damn useful bit of kit to have as it allows you to keep an eye on your air-fuel ratio and will help you diagnose any related problems should they arise.

To that end, there's no real point in getting a narrowband guage, it tells you very little information.

My advice is if you can afford a wideband O2 sensor then get one.

Have a read of this thread (in particular post #15)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts