Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
161 - 176 of 176 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
The alternator got tested today. Overcharging at 18-22v. So not the welding or the booster pack after all. Just too good of a coincidence.
Anyone Know where to search for an alternator other than £180 at mx5 parts?

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I picked up my alternator today. They said the regulator was duff. So even though it’s ecu controlled the regulator itself is on the ecu. He said it was repairable but by the time it’s stripped down, if there are other parts to be replaced it’s more cost effective to by a new one. So I’ve ordered one off autolink, used but tested. It would be good if it arrived for the weekend.

· Registered
3,157 Posts
Lol. I broke down in my scooby yesterday varuous electrical things turned off and then engine shut off at traffic lights...alternator lol.
My mate towed me to his unit on a strap..(dodgy but country lanes). Garage next door who ordered me a new 1 arrived 1hr later and easy peasy on scooby 20 mins on and up n running.
Car came with a new lookimg lucas unit onit...replacement was a lucas too so not filling me with much confident longterm.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
What unlucky timing. I think I’m going to send the one from Autolink back and get a new one. The one from autolink even though tested looks in worse condition than my one. So for the sake of another £60 ish, I’d have more peace of mind with a new one.

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Finally a dry day where I’m not at work.
New alternator fitted.
Blown bulbs replaced. Just need to buy a rear indicator bulb.
Volt meter gauge and switch temporarily fitted, I need to get some spade connectors.
Next will be to get a time and date together with ME to go for a first start up on the new ecu.

https://flic.kr/p/2odSBgo https://flic.kr/p/2odTEWw

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Car fixed! A massive thanks to ME for their support both on arranging a new ECU, and also remote logging in to monitor the start up.
They weren’t impressed with my map, and made a few quick changes but it will be ok for now. New injectors and a few more upgrades will require a remap in the spring. So I’ll definitely be going to see the guys and MTech for any future tuning.

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
I little time on the car today. The Amazon spade connectors were awful so I put some soldier on to make them secure.
I also checked the rear arch clearance. There will be contact when the wheel is this far up. Is there a way to calculate how much travel there’ll be in my shocks?

· layabout
Over-complicated pile of bits that oneday will be fitted to my '91 SilverShItBoX
2,861 Posts
Is there a way to calculate how much travel there’ll be in my shocks?
jack up car, put a cabletie on the damper's piston-shaft, lower car to 'static' position & it'll move the tie as a witness...

Rich.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts