Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, So which is best? I've already done a lot of research, but I havent really come up with a Ideal solution.

My car (92 mk1) has got Bilstiens and some unknown springs. The front is quite a bit lower than the rear, But apart from this I'm happy with the ride. I'm looking for something that will give me a nice low ride height, (not silly low!) and good handling (arn't we all!).

Coilovers would seem the ideal way out I've had them on previous cars and I love being able to adjust the ride height ect. BUT they're such a faff they take forever to get set up unless you pay someone else to do it. and they always seem to have problems
I had a set of K sports and nearly every year they needed a new damper. usually the passenger front and that car did very few miles a year! All the reviews I've read have just put me off. it seems unless your willing to spend almost £1000 your not going to get something that will last. Please correct me if I've got this wrong though, maybe I've just been reading in the wrong places is there anything available around £500ish that will be reliable?

Failing this I'm pretty happy with the ride quality of my current Bilsteins. If I could just lower the car a little more and get the back down level I would be happy
So are there any good lowering springs that go well with them??? Somewhere I seem to think I read that there wernt for whatever reason, I'm also hoping this is wrong!!!

Or the third option, has anybody had any luck with those weld on adjustable coilovers and the Bilstein Dampers???? in theory this would be a great way of getting some reliable height adjustable coilovers on the cheap
But are the dampers up to it?

Thanks for the help

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
You don't want to be welding your dampers, unlike some cars the damper doesn't have an insert you take out of the upright, it is the upright. You get sleeves that slide over and are held on(badly) with grub screws, but are not favoured. You can get lowering springs from the likes of autolink or for £600 you can get some meisterR coilovers that I've yet to read a bad review of.

Do I have them, no, I have a secondhand set of ksports just fitted I got for £210, do I wish I had the meisters, yes! I've driven a mx5 with spax, tein, one with Gaz classics and mine with ksports, I threw the tein in the bin(the top mounts corroded into bits) and fitted the gaz classics on a friends car and not impressed with the quality of them and there are lots of reported failures due to the adjuster seals leaking and the threads corrode badly, the spax spring rates are meant to be not ideal(I loved them on track tho, but that might of just been the geo set up to autocross) I know my friend is struggling to get the gaz damping set up(too bouncy or too harsh)

If your bilsteins are old chances are with running on lowering springs they won't last very long, they still go for strong money so I'd get the meisters and sell your billies. P5 do some highly regarded suspension but I've never seen them/driven them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply
Still hoping for a bit more feedback on this...

As for those Meister R's they look great and I much perfer that design of coilover, and I've also previously looked at the P5's. But also I'm very wary of anything that looks like my K sports as I assume all the dampers come from the same place!? I see theres a thread on recomended settings ect which would be a great help in setting them up. I'll just have to do a liitle more research into how long the dampers last!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Ksports are garbage I've yet to see a set last 3 years without requiring new dampers.

We had a groupbuy of 15 sets a few years ago on our club (AlmeraOwners) not one set lasted 3 years without requiring at least 1 damper replacing.

I've recently put a set of meisters on my Eunos after having 2 sets on my Pulsars and love them, you won't find better imo for the money, my first set have been on my car almost 4 years now, I spent a lot of time prepping them before I put them on the car and I can still wipe them down now and they look mint.

The new HSD's are good if you can find somewhere with stock of them again they are affordable.

BC Racing are another option.

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
As I said oven it heard a bad word about meisters but I've heard lots of bad words about bc, not on mx5's but generally, and never first hand always forthhand news, but a quick check on here will pull up bad news about gaz, racelands, rokkor.. The guy behind meisters is on here and if you know much about quality control, that's the difference between the parts in a good coilovers and a shite one

·
Vendor
1,566 Posts
Well, the Zeta-S is still on offer at £599 for Nutz members.
Should give you the ride height that you want with the ride quality that you are after.
And of course, should anything goes wrong I am here to provide the needed support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.