Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,

It looks like I'm about to make another forray into the world of MX-5 ownership with a friend this time.

What we are building is a fast road/track based MX-5.

Ideally we want 300bhp from a 1.8.

I have a GT2871 kicking around but I think this will be over kill somewhat. I may swap it for a 2560.

Will 300bhp be into the realms of needing forge rods and pistons? I know of a lot of cars in the US running around 300 on oem bottom ends as long as they don't peak over 240bl/ft for very long.

Possible spec list:

750cc injectors on dual feed rail
MS PNP
GT2560 OR GT2871
3" downpipe and exhaust.
LC-1
Helix clutch
Possible Wossner pistons and PEC rods. 8.5:1 comp ratio.

Anything else I'm missing?

·
Project- G!
1,808 Posts
My current map on a 2560 is 300 and i'v been rolling with that for about 6 months now. I do have a reserved 6500 rev limit though. I would say get a stand alone knock detection device or build in some form of timing retard into the MS. There are others that know a great deal more then me about det... but that will be a main contender for slaying your engine.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did have a LINK on my last build but it was a bit clunky.

If I'm going to spend loads on management I may as well forge it and use the 2871 and go for 360ish.

·
Project- G!
1,808 Posts
I just read 'fast road/track', with the high temps generated on track i think running a safe 300bhp will be very very difficult.

I would possible outlay for the forged components and management so you can enjoy it without worry of pushing it to far/hard and throwing a rod through the block

Or

Just aim for a safer 230/50bhp and run on the stock engine?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock blocks are only £50 though..... haha.

I used to run my BBR at 240bhp, and it was just a little lacking compared to the other stuff we've had. Hence why we have a 300bhp/tonne goal this time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.