Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
So... I`ve been lurking on here for a while as a guest and now a member so thought it was about time I got my build thread started

My missus had a 1.8 Eunos a few years ago and it was a hoot to drive, it just needed more power. Since then I`ve come up with a fairly comprehensive build plan which aims to follow a few simple rules.

- Budget, the project itself will be done on a limited budget however I am also a firm believer in the `do it once, do it right` mentality so I wont be scrimping as such.

- Form over function, every change will have a reason

- Fix-a-bility, there will be very limited custom/one off parts on the build. If I blow an engine I want to be able to be back driving quickly and for the least amount of money, so no built costly engines however oe add ons/changes will be used.

I want to build a car that has no right to embarrass machinery that it will end up doing, it wont cost the earth but people will always take the mick for it being`just an mx5`

I picked up a rust free semi compete rolling shell from Autolink in July, then went on holiday so it sat not doing much

This is how I picked it up

IMAG0816.jpg

IMAG0817.jpg

I started to strip it even further in my garage

IMAG0062.jpg

Organising a few parts

IMAG0057.jpg

However space was at a premium so myself and 3 guys from work have rented a unit on the same estate as BBR, even met Brodie the other day. Very cool guy and happy to talk for hours!

And this is what I`m left with

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

·
was b0builder
6,502 Posts
thats what i call a strip down are you going to redo all the subframes as well ??

welcome to the nut house

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i call a strip down are you going to redo all the subframes as well ??

welcome to the nut house
haha, thanks. I`ve got alot further to go yet!

Subframes will defo be getting some love and I may even make a custom front frame depending on how feasible my engine choice is.

Hopefully there will be some more progress this weekend!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nice one mate, good luck with the project.

Me and a couple of mates are thinking about renting out a unit. Dont suppose you wanna share how much you each pay do you? :p

·
Registered
867 Posts
Great project, good luck with it.

I am soooo jealous of your unit !!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice one mate, good luck with the project.

Me and a couple of mates are thinking about renting out a unit. Dont suppose you wanna share how much you each pay do you? :p
Yeah I`ve got no problem with that, its £500/month for the unit. However it does have 3 phase, compressed air and a spray booth in it. We currently have 4 cars in there plus there is some storage space. It certainly beats working in your garage and not being able to get the doors fully open!

Like he project ethos, good luck with it!

What are the plans?
Plans are

- engine swap/gearbox (I`m not letting too much out about this yet)

- cage

- aero

- wider wheels

- weight loss (I`d like sub 850kg but I`m not sure how achievable that is, once the cage and new engine are in I may have to amend it)

- Plus a fair few trick bits that I`ll reveal along the way

I picked a hard top up from Vindi (Russell) last week and a welded diff/prop/shafts from Jacko too, thanks guys. I mainly wanted the diff for the casings plus it was a welded torsen (sacralige or what!) the hard top is a bit tatty but I`ll probably use it to make a mould from

The cage should be on its way in the next week or so. I`m getting it all left long so I can fit it properly. I fitted a custom cages cage to a 106 a few weekends ago and it was a pig. Over bent in places, short/long in others which made it a nightmare!

I kinda shot myself in the foot a bit with this project. I got engaged in June so I`ve also got a wedding to finance!ooops. The show must go on!

Oh and I have a nice shiney set of Zeta S`s from the group buy to put on too

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made a bit more progress on Sunday. Had my friend in the workshop trying to fix the alternater on his 3 series, he started the day by arcing the battery to the body work via a spanner and his hand which was pretty funny.

So it started like this

photo.jpg

and ended up like this

IMAG0163.jpg

&

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Not bad for 5 hours work or so. The biggest pita was the inserts on top of the diff for the ppf. One of the bolts wouldnt come out, it was out of the thread but was locked into the diff/lower section of the ppf, I had to cut it out and then knock it back up to remove the insert. Not the end of the world.

Progress will be slow this week. I`ve got a load of rubbish to remove and some house keeping to do at the unit. I cracked my fluids bucket which of course only happened once I started filling it!

·
PANDAfactory
4,833 Posts
That looks like a great workshop for a rental unit.

Project sounds like it should be good. You'd be surprised how porky this MX5 is though - <850kg is really on the boundary of where you can get to and needs quite a bit of creativity. I've done a fair amount of weight-watchers on mine and am not far <900kg. I do have a heater still though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I`ve been fairly slack with updating you guys on this. I had been planning a wedding which was taking most of my time but that has now fallen by the way side unfortunately, taking the best part of 7months to finally culminate a couple of weeks ago. However the silverlining means I have far more time to spend in the garage now!

So take one rather large delivery of tube and after a bit of Faro arm work throw some of it in a CNC bender to get this

IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

I had been in two minds about splashing out on a tube notcher but I`m a firm believer in the right tool for the job and as I`ll be TIGing this cage I didnt want any gaps or ill fitting tube. Or for that matter wasted tube because I`d cut it on the piss which meant buying one of these beasts

IMAG0512.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

Seriously worth its weight in gold and I`ve only done a test notch and the 2 back stays for the cage

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

All perfectly lined up and in the centre of the tube. Angle adjustment is easy and marked out on the base plate and you can adjust the height to accomodate offset tubes too!

I only got to work on the cage on saturday but got the main hoop and 2 rear stays in. Plus the floor plates all drawn up which I`ll get cut out and bent this week. The fit is really tight to the hard top which I`m really happy with

IMAG0520.jpg

IMAG0521.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a bit carried away with the rollcage pics that I forgot about all the prep work that I did before I got the hoop/laterals all bent

I attacked the shell with a mixture of angle grinder and spot weld drill and removed just over 10kg just to accomodate the cage. There is still loads more to remove

First off the seat belt turrets had to go

IMAG0466.jpg

The cage will take care of the strength provided by these, it was then on to the seat mounts and the dash brackets off the trans tunnel. Since this pic I`ve also removed the triangular bits from the corners of the floor/rear bulkhead area. I was hoping to keep them in as they were a pig to get to with the drill/grinder combo, I keep contemplating buying a plasma cutter but I cant quite justify the cost!

IMAG0467.jpg

IMAG0482.jpg

I also removed one of the skins from the a pillar so the roll cage can tuck in better which I`ll gusset back up once the lateral bar is in

IMAG0483.jpg

And I finished with an ever growing pile of bin fodder

IMAG0485.jpg

I`ll be spending most of bank holiday monday on the car so I`m hoping to have some decent cage progress

I`ve drawn the foot plates up and will cut them out and bend them this week

One last pic for the time being, my new gearbox fits perfectly

IMAG0463.jpg

I took a bit of a punt on the box and it paid off, my custom bell housing is currently clearing customs ( I hope I dont get stung too badly on any taxes) so I will be able to bolt the box to my dummy block as soon as it arrives!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Progress has been pretty sporadic since the last update, I`ve been away with work and had very little time to get much done.

I did however get a rather exciting parcel from the states, my custom bell housing!

IMAG0546.jpg

Its a shame that no one in the UK can do anything like this for similar money, even with getting nailed for customs charges it worked out very reasonably priced It even came with a pilot bearing, engine to bell housing bolts and clutch slave cylinder!

Its a shame that its going to hide under the tunnel, its really nicely made and fitting it was a breeze

First off was the gearbox interface, getting the original toyota bolts off require a serious extension to the breaker bar but thankfully non of them rounded and I was soon left with this

IMAG0553.jpg

and then this

IMAG0555.jpg

I`m using a dummy block for the time being as investing in the full engine now seems silly when its going to sit there not doing much, I also have plenty to spend on too

I then cracked on with the cage. I ended up re cutting in the rear bars as I wasnt happy with their intersection to the lateral bars. All the bars you see are probably 95% cut in and I`ll do the final fettling once I fit the foot plates ( I have these now but no pics unfortunetly)

IMAG0559.jpg

We had a bit of result with some garage equipment too, one of the chaps in a neighbouring unit ended up with an extra but slightly incomplete brand new 2 post lift when he was kitting out his new warehouse. The company didnt want it back as the shipping costs would have been uneconomical so we bought it off him for an absolute steal. Once thats fitted (hopefully this afternoon) I can then get back on with the 5.

I`m hoping to get the footplates in, dash, roof and rear brace bars fitted and maybe look at de powering my pas rack too so should have plenty of updates on monday

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like a great project!!!

So what lump is going to be hanging off that then??

Also didn't you buy the eunos with all the autokonexion wide arches etc??
Engine is a bit of secret until its in and working but yeah, I bought Robd`s green eunos for the wide arches, I`ve returned the engine to standard and added a few bits and the now ex missus is driving it

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Exciting stuff! Following with interest. :)

Hope it's a K series or Duratec going in!
Not even close!! Time will tell, I`ll post pics up when the engine mounts are done but all it will show is a block with no head fittngs in the bay, if someone guesses from that I`ll be very very impressed

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.