Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Idiot Naturally..
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I currently have a Megasquirt 2 V3 installed and mapped by Nick ( skuzzle ) who has done a very good job of it although I need bigger injectors to make the most of my set up.

So I currently have some EV14 550cc injectors on there way to cover that side of things and was wondering if there is anyone local to me (Croydon) that knows what they are doing with megasquirt to assist with tuning the 550's, or even a place I can take it to get mapped (again local) if possible. This bring me to a few more questions.

- What kind of price should I expect to pay for mapping?

- Roughtly what PSI will get me near on 200bhp (TD04, Intercooled, 550cc injectors) I don't really want to go past that tbh.

- Anyone know if AFR/Austec in Crawley are any good and a rough price (I'm finding it hard to get in contact)

Thanks

Rich.

·
Registered
309 Posts
  • Hi,
  • You just need to change your req fuel in injector characteristics to 4.9 and your deadtime to 0.5 m/sec as recommended by the injector manufacturer. Your VE table will need to be re scaled. Manually change about 6 cells in the idle area to values around 75. Now start the car and watch your AFR's. Too lean - up the VE number by 5 and vice versa. . When you get it idling steady at your required AFR (14.7 for me) set autotune. Now add whatever number you have added to your idle cells to all other cells in the fuel table. Set autotune to easy and drive the car around gently with the update ecu box ticked. This will give you a base new fuel table. Do this for 30 mins watching your AFR for bad mumbers. Dont go into boost if your running lean, better to go rich and let the ECU pull out fuel. Now change the setting on auto tune to normal and drive again for 30 mins. You should now have a good map that may just need manual smoothing.
If the car does not start, pull the spark plugs and check for flooding. This is too much req fuel.

·
Idiot Naturally..
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that andrew am sure that will help me get a fairly decent road map, in regards to boost, how much is regarded as safe? 10 psi? 12psi? Want it to be around 190-200 just for an added bit of safety etc, also I don't have det cans or anything like that, is this a problem or is that more to do with timing etc? As I say I'm a novice with tuning although I've read a fair bit and trying to make sense of it all

·
Registered
279 Posts
Get yourself a wideband oxygen sensor and then just drive with autotune to get the fueling sorted.

I work at devil developments in littlehampton ( west sussex) and we can safely map your car here, just for reference my 1.6 mk1 made 221 bhp at 13psi, but thats the lower compression engine and mapped on 95ron fuel. So yours should make 200 bhp at much lower boost.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I presumed you had a wideband installed. you should make over 200bhp at 10 psi. My 1.6 made 200 @ 5 psi. If you had the timing checked when it was mapped you should not need to change it with new injectors. Just the fuel map.

·
Idiot Naturally..
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks for all the input and I'll drop ardler_dan a Pm!

I do indeed have a wideband (Aem with gauge) which I forgot to mention, is it as simple as driving around with auto tune and do you have to drive off boost, on boost? just dont want to do anything I'm not suppose to. Is there a rough way of finding out the power output (Without a Dyno) as I don't want to pop the engine!

If I do this myself I'm fairly sure I'll have pages and pages of questions to do with the fuel table/afrs etc!

Thanks

Rich.

·
Premium Member
19,520 Posts
Awesome thanks for all the input and I'll drop ardler_dan a Pm!

I do indeed have a wideband (Aem with gauge) which I forgot to mention, is it as simple as driving around with auto tune and do you have to drive off boost, on boost?
you want to drive so you hit every area of the map, just slowly edge up to boost using progressively more and more throttle throughout the rev-range

just dont want to do anything I'm not suppose to. Is there a rough way of finding out the power output (Without a Dyno) as I don't want to pop the engine!
Got a smartphone? then download an app for it
Knowing the power output won't stop you popping an engine though...

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
just as suggested. Change the required fuel value and dead time which are in engine constants under basic settings.

Then autotune to the afr table i supplied. Take it gradual get idle stable, then work your way through small amounts of throttle. Build it up until eventually you are hitting full boost.

With regards to removing the rev limit i imposed, you'll find the rev limits option also under basic settings i believe. I think a soft limit of 7000 and hard limit of 7200 should see you well.

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Idiot Naturally..
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again all!

Just a quick question and something I've noticed, every time I start my car the fan seems to run for a fair while, it does go off eventually but I think that could contributing to my cold start/cold running issue?

Also when changing the injectors anything I need to do in terms of de pressuring the rail? And I assume evs simply drop right in.

·
Idiot Naturally..
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh and the reason I was interested in knowing the bhp is I heard that a certain level of torque kills the engine, and I don't want to get near that purely for reliability! So I'll stick to 10psi across the whole map to be safer!

Rich

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks again all!

Just a quick question and something I've noticed, every time I start my car the fan seems to run for a fair while, it does go off eventually but I think that could contributing to my cold start/cold running issue?

Also when changing the injectors anything I need to do in terms of de pressuring the rail? And I assume evs simply drop right in.
My fan does that too, always wondered why it does it. Mine was built by reverant, maybe its something he configured in the settings.

·
Idiot Naturally..
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad I'm not the only one it happened to, at first I thought it was maybe because I turned the engine off while fan may have been on so the next time I parked up I left it running until the fan kicked in and turned off. Came back to it later, started it and fan was running again

Rich.

·
Registered
311 Posts
hope your learning your stuff rich, because when i need to know all this information ill know who to contact then

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rich
Austec seem pretty good, my buddy just had him Mk2 1.8 in there for a turbo refurb and intercooler install. He's running a HKS kit with standard injectors and they managed to coax abot 170bhp out of his. They can be a bit hard to get hold of and can be slow getting back to you but they are always rammed with Supra's, TVR's and other interesting stuff. If you do come down to them let me know as I work just down the road and would me good to meet up.

·
Idiot Naturally..
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey buddy,

Funny you should mention Austec (Formerly AFR?) in Crawly? I was just about to put up a post asking about any experiance with them.

I've been quoted ?75 to install my Injectors (If I don't get around to doing it) and ?80 per hour to map which is likely to take 2 hours so ?255 in total.

I may well go for this depending on what my pay packet says! I wanted to give this a crack myself but due to the limited time I seem to have nower days it'll be quicker to drop it to these guys!

If I do take it to them it'll likely be on a Sat!

Thanks

Rich.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts