Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just been to look at a Mk2 1.8i Sport which was in really quite good condition had had covered only 58,000 miles. The two-tone leather seats however looked as if the had done twice that (in a taxi!!). I have no reason to doubt the mileage of the car or the fact that these are the original seats.

My questions are:

Was the leather of a fairly poor quality to explain this wear. Both seats have quite bad cracking on the base and the drivers side bolster is completely worn through.

Does anyone have any idea of cost to recover these two seats.

Thanks in advance.

ALAN

· Registered
2,421 Posts
The leather on the MK1 and MK2 seats isn't the best, it is very very rare to find original seats that aren't tatty. MK2.5 cars had much improved leather and these do wear very well, in fact I've yet to see a badly worn MK2.5 leather seat.

· Super Moderator
22,155 Posts
Leather used is not the best, but would hope they still looked reasonable at 60k. Is it just a case of the top colour being rubbed away on the outer bolster from getting in or out or very much worse?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Yes I would have expected them to be in better condition too. The cracking to the bases could be a straightforward repair but the drivers side bolster near the door had not just rubbed the colour away but actually worn a hole through the leather. I have had and seen cars with much higher mileage that have shown signs of wear but none that have actually worn through the leather surface.

Doubt they musta been wearing sandpaper suits or something.......

· Super Moderator
22,155 Posts
Cracking is due to lack of maintenance rather than high use. High wear on bolster may be indicative of lots of short journeys, which maybe something to think about, but mechanically unlikley to be an issue. You can check the milages recorded on MOTs for the last 5 years or so online.

If you do buy the car MK2.5 leather seats can be had for about £300 are so much nicer and heated. Knock them down on seat condition.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks for that.

The car seemed quite honest; low mileage, old mot checks were fine and all done at the same garage throughout, with servicing carried out by local dealer initially then mot'ing garage since and all in the same town. Pedal rubbers and mats/carpet don't indicate a huge mileage either.

If the excessive seat wear seems reasonable, I might give it a punt.

ALAN

· Super Moderator
22,155 Posts
I wear heavy duty combats for work, with all manner of buttons and zips on them so aside from the odd scratch or pull my mk2.5 seats are doing ok for a 70k mile car. Still look good from a distance at least!
The 2.5 seats are of a much better quality than earier examples.

· Advanced Nutzer
7,117 Posts
Just for everyone's info for the future, the MK3 leather seats are made from a much thicker 'rougher' type of leather, I've had MK1,MK2 and now MK3 cars with leather seats and the MK3's are by far and away the best, my car has 72K and the drivers seat is absolutely like new with no wear at all, not even any creasing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.