Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.

Is there anyone on here who is running a Honda K engine?

As it stands at the moment I'm heading down the K route however I am still considering a fully forged turbo BP.

I wouldn't mind speaking to someone who has done the k swap

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't think of any off the shelf kits in the UK, but Black Cat Motorsport have a lot of you contact them.

I think I recall a figure of around 7-8k which is very steep, could build a really good BP for less.

I recall them also having a flywheel for the Honda engines that can utilise a 1.8 clutch+pressure plate, it was over £600 used.

I just can't see these being financially viable in the UK, only for someone who's very keen on those engines.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yep only blackcat i know off and slow progress too.
I too would be very interested in this. The k20 is a cracking engine. Personally id mate to an rx8 gearbox either 5 or 6 speed.
I think its easier to put the k20 in the mr2 roadster.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah there are not many uk companies developing a kit.

Im torn between a very high spec forge turbo bp vs a k24,

I'm looking for any individual who has already converted to the k24/k20 rather than a company. My car is a bare shell at the moment and I wanted to ask some questions on the shell prep or any modifications which needed to be done before my shell goes off for paint.

I'm actually going to see an accord tomorrow which has the k24 with a view of buying the car and stripping it, keeping the engine for mine. So the decision may be made tomorrow

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I don't think there are many UK K swaps as the off the shelf kit from K Miata doesn't fit without a fair bit of surgery - the mounts are different and you need a different exhaust manifold fabricating as it would clash with the steering rack.. ..

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,120 Posts
There are a few builds on there that have done it. Have a search and you'll throw something up. A few people have also swapping in F20's as apparently it's easier, but that was long before k series became the go to engine swap so likely not applicable anymore.

·
layabout
2,435 Posts
I don't think there are many UK K swaps as the off the shelf kit from K Miata doesn't fit without a fair bit of surgery - the mounts are different and you need a different exhaust manifold fabricating as it would clash with the steering rack.. ..
the exhaust is a definate issue in rhd installs BUT what worries me more is the sump situation :blink:

the 'off the shelf' options look to me to be a hatchet-job and nobody seems to make / feabricate decent rear-bowl options (not helped by the origonal honda oilpump position at the front of the sump.)

suppose an external oilpump could be used or drysump for a good install without steeringrack position issues :popcorn:

Rich.

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,120 Posts
Doesn't the k series oil pump sit actually in the sump below the oil line though? So shouldnt have starvation issues, and as long as thing clear from the k swap kits will be ok?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yeah theres a small chain driving it under bottom pulley. Right at front of engine....but i put a baffle plate in mine as they do suffer with track use. Subframe down job todo. I did mine in my garage big ballache.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah theres a small chain driving it under bottom pulley. Right at front of engine....but i put a baffle plate in mine as they do suffer with track use. Subframe down job todo. I did mine in my garage big ballache.

Have you done a kswap buddy??

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
No i prepped an ep3 for track use so did a fair amount of work onit.
Loved the engine...not keen on the chassis..FWD just not my thing.
As pointed out the steering rack and sump is a massive hurdle to overcome.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No i prepped an ep3 for track use so did a fair amount of work onit.
Loved the engine...not keen on the chassis..FWD just not my thing.
As pointed out the steering rack and sump is a massive hurdle to overcome.

No problem at all: I'm in the early stages of planning. The car I was going to see tomorrow has unfortunately sold, it was a low mileage, extremely well looked after accord. So forced my hand a little

Now that has sold I can dig a bit deeper than I already have.

Still interested in finding someone in the uk who has done the swap

·
layabout
2,435 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will start a build thread, at the moment it's just on Instagram ( DazMx5) but I will start a build thread on here

Thank you for that link. That will be a good read. I have been reading a few similar ones

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've PM'd Dazza9t9 but if anyone is interested in a Kswap I spent a lot of time helping to develop the Blackcat kit. Simply put there is no easy way to do it as almost everything is against you. Exhaust the wrong side, rack right where the oil pump needs to be and throttle body up hard against the bulkhead. Kmiata have manage to make a decent go at a kit by the LHD cars are sooo much easier. Its also much easier when K24s' (their most popular engine by all accounts) are ten a penny from the local scrapyard.

The Blackcat kit is expensive but only because to do it properly we had to have several major components custom made. For example, the oil pump pick up can be routed over the rack (a la Kmiata) but this was one of many items made a lot harder by being RHD. In the end the best option was a dry sump kit with a bespoke CNC sump and they aren't cheap however you manage to do it!!

Could you build a high power BP for less? Most definitely but once the K20/24 is in just imagine the potential for FI!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've PM'd Dazza9t9 but if anyone is interested in a Kswap I spent a lot of time helping to develop the Blackcat kit. Simply put there is no easy way to do it as almost everything is against you. Exhaust the wrong side, rack right where the oil pump needs to be and throttle body up hard against the bulkhead. Kmiata have manage to make a decent go at a kit by the LHD cars are sooo much easier. Its also much easier when K24s' (their most popular engine by all accounts) are ten a penny from the local scrapyard.

The Blackcat kit is expensive but only because to do it properly we had to have several major components custom made. For example, the oil pump pick up can be routed over the rack (a la Kmiata) but this was one of many items made a lot harder by being RHD. In the end the best option was a dry sump kit with a bespoke CNC sump and they aren't cheap however you manage to do it!!

Could you build a high power BP for less? Most definitely but once the K20/24 is in just imagine the potential for FI!!
Tried contacting them by phone today but wasn't able to get an answer . Very keen on talking with them , I've just bought a 99 NB with the sole intention of kswaping . I had originally planned on using all the Kpower stuff but know there may be problems with exhaust clearance ect , I choose this project because of the bolt in nature of the kpower kits but I probably didnt consider all the info out there is from the USA 😄

Anyways , very keen to learn more and get the ball rolling .

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,630 Posts
Or just get an MR2. Solves all the K20/K24 problems. At most it just needs a modified bulkhead (hammering or a box section cut and welded) if you upgrade the intake manifold.

The ZZW30 is a 4x100 car so you won't even need to get different wheels.

I bought Blackcat's K20 ZZW30 car. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Why not just buy a secondhand Honda CRX Delsol for some speed. I had a grey import Delsol model. Fastest car I ever owned, and a two seater convertible. Once the VVT engine changed over at the correct RPM you got kicked into the back of your seat. It was a pocket rocket. Sad when I sold it. But my 'need for speed days' are over, as I am no longer a boy racer :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts