Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title... getting a juddering noticeable when reversing most also now I have the centre console out and the shift boots are knackered I can hear a gravelly noise from I assume the gearbox... most noticeable when letting off the throttle when in gear.

Any ideas of what this could be.. I was thinking maybe gearbox problems? Or some mounts gone somewhere as it feels like the car rocks back and forth on power / off power like it's taking up a bit of slack in the drive?

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
286 Posts
you get the juddering ALL the time,I believe it seems to be common on the early cars mine done it occassionly but now seems to have stopped for quite a while

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Juddering only in reverse really.. sometimes in 1st also. Only at slow speeds.

·
Miss me?
4,552 Posts
I used to get really bad judder when pulling away (on the bite) in both 1st & reverse, especially so uphill. Recently the clutch started slipping & very quickly gave up the goose, forcing a replacement & guess what!........no more judder

·
Registered
729 Posts
Clutch oil contamination from a leaking seal caused bad juddering followed by clutch slip on my 91. Regarding the noise - could be a heatsheild vibrating?

·
Gonzomagic
1,077 Posts
Clutch oil contamination from a leaking seal caused bad juddering followed by clutch slip on my 91. Regarding the noise - could be a heatsheild vibrating?
Mine does this.moreso when the engine has warmed up. Thought it was the engine mount. Then thought maybe a gearbox mount. Hmmm, I think I need a clutch fluid bleed and fill. Check for leaks too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine has done this ever since I had a new clutch installed! I have got cas oil seal leaking but that was leaking before the clutch was installed? Thinking engine mounts on mine! Any ideas? I know the diff bushes are ok as I've checked those with a lever bar!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine has done this ever since I had a new clutch installed! I have got cas oil seal leaking but that was leaking before the clutch was installed? Thinking engine mounts on mine! Any ideas? I know the diff bushes are ok as I've checked those with a lever bar!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
A leaking CAS o ring won't effect the clutch, a rear crank seal or a front gear box seal will. As for the noise was the PPF aligned in the correct tolerance?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts