Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 1.8 eunos last week it's got the jrsc and megasquirt, there is a splutter around 4.5k revs I thought when I was buying it that it was just a mapping issue but I expected to have to get it mapped anyway. After a bit of reading on here I found that all the fi cars run bkr7e plugs, well I checked today and this has still got bkr6e plugs. Could it be it's just blowing the spark out when it's on boost? It drives perfectly all other times. I've ordered the plugs I just need to reassurance it should help. I'm trying to research as much as I can but I want the car to run right now as I'm already thinking I should of just bought an s2000.

Many thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car has no gauges so no way of keeping track of anything. I'm not sure about the megasquirt either. I'm going to fit the plugs on Monday and see what happens. My mate is seeing if his uncle can book it in for mapping ( Wayne at chip wizards) I need to get hold of some gauges and I've ordered a USB to serial adapter so hopefully I can get the laptop hooked up and keep an eye on things that way. If I can get it all setup properly by Wayne first then it will give me chance to learn about the megasquirt. Luckily the car isnt a daily driver so I don't need to use it. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
585 Posts
Right the plugs have just been changed and it's made no difference to it. It occurred to me earlier that just before I bought it the Cambelt was done could the timing be out? How would I sort this if it is? Ive pm'd the previous owner in the hope he could shed some light on how it's been mapped and how it was running before. I don't want to take it for mapping if it's a mechanical issue to sort first. Wayne from chip wizard said it could be fuel pressure but he said its more than likely that the megasquirt is just shit and to change it to dta s40 management. I think that's a bit extreme though.

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,563 Posts
Yeah, timing might be out after a belt change. You could check that by removing the sparkplugs and the cam cover, then drop the dipstick into no.1 cylinder and turn the engine with a spanner until the dipstick shows it's reached it's highest point - top dead centre. The guide marks at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock on the two cam gears should then line up with the marks on the plate behind them, and there should be 19 belt teeth between the marks at 12 o'clock on the two gears.

You should replace the 6 little blobs of sealant when you replace the cam cover.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, that's a great help I will try and have a look at that tomorrow when I'm not at work. The more things I can check of the list the better before sending it in for mapping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts