Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls,

Got a Japspeed induction kit fitted to my 5 recently. After much debating on whether or not I could justify shelling out for a standard 57i cone, I decided to be cheap and go for the japspeed item. The saving was about 30 quid or so, however, the Japspeed induction kit also comes with a replacement intake similar to the K&N Typhoon kit.

forum%203.jpg

I was a bit dubious when purchasing the kit due to it being a pretty generic cone filter, however when the kit arrived, I had a good inspection of all the components, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the items. The kit features all the necessary mounting points for the MAF and O2 sensors, reusing the rubber bung for the sensor wand. As you can see from the picture, the filter sits nicely in the vacant space where the standard air-box would be located.

The tubular intake is manufactured from aluminium, and comes with all the necessary jubilee clips and silicone fittings. It also comes with a replacement breather tube to the cylinder head, but I opted for the standard Mazda part as the fitting was better.

The only gripe I have with the kit at all is the fitting of the support arm for the intake tube. I had to fabricate a extension for the mounting point. Other than this, the kit fits perfectly ( Makes me wonder whether the kit was designed for a MK2 MX5 if the mounting points are slightly different.

All in all, the kit sounds great and is only noticeable when under hard acceleration. It makes an excellent cheaper alternative to the K&N intake at £49.99 with free delivery of Flebay!

I'll try to get a video uploaded when I get chance.

James

·
Registered
956 Posts
Apart from the filter itself will be very poor quality as it's just a cheap generic filter best get a good quality filter like k&n pipercross etc and just use there pipework.

if you look into the filter you'll notice you can see alot of light showing through, showing just how poor the filtration is.

·
Internationally Unrenowned
2,220 Posts
Looks nice, I've seen these before on Ebay. Look out for their auctions too, sometimes these things go for less than the Buy it Now price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apart from the filter itself will be very poor quality as it's just a cheap generic filter best get a good quality filter like k&n pipercross etc and just use there pipework.
if you look into the filter you'll notice you can see alot of light showing through, showing just how poor the filtration is.
You're absolutely right of course, I thought I recognised it from similar Halfords special filters. Seems to do the job for the time being but I have been considering getting another cone for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks alright , James .
Any performance difference noticeable
The only performance increase, if any, is perceived I feel. The car definitely sounds sportier and it may gain 1 or 2 horses if combined with a decent exhaust system. I have been looking at getting the racing beat power pulse back box as I reckon it would sound awesome with this induction kit :-D

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Just get the mx5 parts one mate.

·
2,220 Posts
I've got an MX5Parts dual exit, fits perfectly and sounds great. Also they're customer service is meant to be great in the event of issues.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Would this fit the mk1 atall? Or is there anything similar for the mk1 as I have a 57i k&n cone but unsure how to mount it I've got a 1.6

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure about the fitment for a mk1, though the setup is just aluminium tubing with silicone connectors so I'm sure it would be possible to mount if you modified the tubing.

I had to make a bracket up to fit to my car anyway as the mounting bracket was about 3-4 Inches out from the mounting point.

·
2,220 Posts
You can attach a K&N cone straight onto the AMF on a MK1, you just need an adapter plate thingy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bit of a bump but I have just fitted one of these, although I have the one from 2fast2 cool, I have out a k&n filter I had on the end. I spent a while figuring out how this mounts and discovered through one or two pics I found that the afm goes between the two pipes this then puts the mounting bracket right above a handy bolt

IMAG0119_zpsnyxxvjkf.jpg

IMAG0120_zpsp6vsr1su.jpg

I may of course be wrong but it runs fine and fits well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts