Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, introduced myself in an earlier post, I'm from down South Devon, owned an s14 200sx for 9 years with many, many fun times had, many tyres smoked at drift days and lots of battered panels along the way. Due to the crazy prices they now commend I took the plunge and sold my car and I have now moved onto mx5's..... Originally I was only meant to get 1 as a cheap drift car but then ended up buying another which I will talk about in a later post.

Made a video introducing the first 1 which is an NB 1.8 Icon edition we have named Max :). I've made a video and really hoping to log a lot of the work and track days on Youtube so feel free to subscribe to the channel. I will let the video do the talking:

IMG_20211205_113910 by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

All comments and critics welcome,

Cheers, Dan

·
Registered
42 Posts
As much as I love MX5's (and have two as well) I was in the same position as you and regret getting rid of my S14A, like you say prices are insane now and I couldn't afford/justify getting another

Im also using one as a daily/drift car and restoring the other both Mk2's as well, will watch your builds and see what you do!

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
246 Posts
Hi Dan
Where abouts are you? Nice to see someone local to me, it's not often. I'm in Teignmouth.
Will give you a wave if I see you out and about!

These are my two:
Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel

EDIT: just watched your video, yes you are right about the oil gauge, only the early mk1s had a proper pressure read gauge. The later cars all use an on/off switch, which was done supposedly because Mazda were fed up of complaints from new owners saying their oil system was broken as it fluctuated so wildly under acceleration 🤷‍♂️

Looks like a good base for a drifter, actually quite an uncommon model really as mk2s were only made for 2 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@richrides Tbh if my 14 had still been a road car I would have kept it, with it being a track only toy for the past few years and crashing it becoming more expensive (and hard to find parts) every time, it was sadly the best situation for me. By the time I let it go it had taken some abuse so more than happy with the use I got out of it. Any drift related questions fire away as I've been drifting as long as I owned that car. Here's a link to my build thread on sxoc if you are interested:

My s14a drift car build

@guitaristanime I literally only live over Milber/Newton Abbot. 10mins away, so could well be waving at each other ha! You would be welcome over for a cupa and to talk all things mx5's any time. Both look nice examples there!

Ah ye I thought that was the case with the oil pressure as it sat way too uniform lol. Ye it is kind of a shame, I have considered using my other one as the drifter but unfortunately Max is out of MOT and Max 2.0 is road legal (somehow) so ye. I have thought about doing the welding, spraying the icon and sorting the interior etc back to how it should be then when the other one runs out of MOT later in the year to swap roles but after the 1st track/drift day I will know which direction I want to take it I reckon.

Cheers for the warm welcome (y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right so haven't had chance to make a video about it yet but here is Max 2.0.... Very rough on the outside but does feature a turbo under the bonnet so not all bad! This is the car I'm aiming to get ready first, mainly because it's mot'd and I have a few months of insurance left over from my 200 so shouldn't cost too much to swap it over, I hope 😅

The story goes that the person before the guy I bought it from done the turbo set up but then the last guy who owned it had no clue about anything so I'm slowly working through some bodges, I mean repairs... Also the paintwork is very much, erm unique?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's just some matt black rattle can sprayed over the top of the original silver paint because you can see brush marks where they have done part of the door shut too :rolleyes:, managed to do a deal with a friend to get a gloss black boot lid to see if I fancy that colour and I think that is probably what I will go with now for the rest of the car since its been registered as black on the log book.

ECU it has a megasquirt ms2, have a printout of 211hp but the owner before said they had changed the turbo since so its probably somewhere around 200hp give or take as doesn't sound like it was mapped again since then. Here's a pic of under the bonnet.

From what I can make out a flyin miata manifold, alloy rad, ebay or similar small intercooler, maxpeedingrods or similar chineese turbo and actuator, different injectors but don't know which, has an electronic boost controller but don't think it's wired in correctly as both the AFR and boost gauges don't light up or work either. Getting those gauges working is one of the first on the list. Plus the exhaust isn't great at the front to middle section and the turbo return is wobbling around in the sump (return pipe is probably most important thing to look at)... Luckily I haven't driven the car since I collected it and have a bit of time to get these bits sorted and then drive it from next month.

Here is how I found the ECU, literally just hanging about. Again another job to sort out. so far had time to get rid of the extra alarm wireing though so thats a start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice write up - sounds like some good project work coming. Let me know if you need a spare pair of hands :)

Those manifolds are pretty rare around these parts! Must have cost a penny to import. I went with the Kraken cast manifold and elbow.
Sure thing, once I've got it at home your welcome to come take a look, I might need a hand at some point so that's nice to know :) same to you btw, I've done a fair bit with turbo's and fab work etc so may be handy. If I found someone local with Tunerstudio I wouldn't mind plugging it in and checking the fueling etc. I will probably buy an old laptop and the software eventually so I can have a play.

Funny you say that about the manifold, guy on Youtube in the states replaced his FM manifold with a low mount kraken, with a tune made aprox 30/40hp more with the virtual dyno software but he hasn't done a genuine dyno yet to prove. That car was running around 360/370hp already so ye, don't think it would be as much noticeably different on my car running less power than that but still I think for 'ultimate power' you made the right decision. What power is your turbo one making? Saw your other build thread too, find somewhere to tune it in the end?

Making a bit of a shorter video I'm editing at the moment just to talk about the good and bad bits of this one. Will be more in depth in the future as I start to fix things over the coming weeks though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sure thing, once I've got it at home your welcome to come take a look, I might need a hand at some point so that's nice to know :) same to you btw, I've done a fair bit with turbo's and fab work etc so may be handy. If I found someone local with Tunerstudio I wouldn't mind plugging it in and checking the fueling etc. I will probably buy an old laptop and the software eventually so I can have a play.

Funny you say that about the manifold, guy on Youtube in the states replaced his FM manifold with a low mount kraken, with a tune made aprox 30/40hp more with the virtual dyno software but he hasn't done a genuine dyno yet to prove. That car was running around 360/370hp already so ye, don't think it would be as much noticeably different on my car running less power than that but still I think for 'ultimate power' you made the right decision. What power is your turbo one making? Saw your other build thread too, find somewhere to tune it in the end?

Making a bit of a shorter video I'm editing at the moment just to talk about the good and bad bits of this one. Will be more in depth in the future as I start to fix things over the coming weeks though.
I assume you're talking about carpassionchannel - yeah I used his videos to learn everything I know really, it was his guide I used to turbo the car as well.

I have a laptop with TunerStudio if needed - I know a lot more about MEITE than TunerStudio hence looking for somewhere to get the map sorted.

Yes managed to find somewhere but haven't had it mapped yet as the exhaust manifold cracked so been waiting for the guy that fabbed that to fix it for me when he's available.

I haven't had my turbo car dyno'd, had been trying to get it on an open day dyno session but not had an opportunity
I've got the TD04 limited to 10psi, but was previously running it at 13psi - normal figures are around 230whp and theres a lot of evidence of this from others set up. With my 10psi, I expect somewhere around 210whp?

When you say you can fabricate, can you do stuff like body work and exhaust fabrication?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It was actually a channel called 'car guys friday' I think, I will get the link if interested, I've seen 'the car passion' channel but not watched many of his video's, will have to try and take a look, thanks.

I would imagine we would be similar-ish power then, as I say haven't driven mine under load yet to see what it boosts to but it's probably similar 10/11psi, will get a pic of the graph if I remember this week. I am sure I will ask to use that laptop at some point if you don't mind, I would be very grateful. I think mine is running richer than it should be but need to check for air leaks etc before I go messing with the map and not entirely fair as keep running it to move it around so it hasn't properly come out of the enrichment map for very long each time I move it. I remember every time I had my s14 in for weeks at a time start/stopping the car moving it, the first run up the road it would have a couple lumpy WOT jerks then clear and be all lovely again.

Ye I do a lot of welding in general where I work, as I say will be fabricating my own extended arms etc, use to work at a garage that did body work too before I moved to my current job, often welding up sills of cars, cross members on landy's etc, all sorts really. Ye I have made exhausts before, take a look at my s14 build thread and you will see what I done with that, welding in the cage plates, door bars, tubbing the rear arches plus quickly fabbing an exhaust, the elbow on that build wasn't very nice though as I expected to re-do it so bear in mind it could be a lot cleaner looking etc with pie cuts or pre-bent mandrel bends.

What type of manifold have you cracked, stainless or cast? Feel free to send me a pm :)

I have pretty much finished my intro video to Max 2.0 so that will be up in the morning hopefully, I'm actually slightly further ahead than the video shows and so far I have; Tidied up the wireing enough that the boost and afr gauges now work and I've checked the wideband goes through the warm up procedure, seems to read ok once running for a min or so.

Fixed the wobbly turbo return fitting by taking it out, fitting some dowtey washers and re-tightening. Also replaced the return hose that was rubbing through :rolleyes:

Next on the hit list is the exhaust!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice update man! Good catch with that return hose, I fear mine might be in similar state as it's not P-clipped anywhere.

Re: fabrication will send you a PM

Laptop available any time, I work in IT so pretty good when it comes to that sort of stuff, just don't know how to tune a car :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here's the video, as I say I'm a step or two further ahead now but you get a bit more of a walk around of the shed... I mean gem of a car :p, in all seriousness it's all bits that are fixable it's just been neglected by the last owner I think. I'm glad I could save it before what was probably some kind of engine or drivetrain malfunction :)

I will reply to your PM later on or tomorrow @guitaristanime, popping out to the cinema tonight so got to crack on, sure we can sort something out,

Cheers

·
Registered
246 Posts
So here's the video, as I say I'm a step or two further ahead now but you get a bit more of a walk around of the shed... I mean gem of a car :p, in all seriousness it's all bits that are fixable it's just been neglected by the last owner I think. I'm glad I could save it before what was probably some kind of engine or drivetrain malfunction :)

I will reply to your PM later on or tomorrow @guitaristanime, popping out to the cinema tonight so got to crack on, sure we can sort something out,

Cheers
I forgot one thing, I have the same job you did to your oil pan for the return hose, mine is attached with metal epoxy and started to leak recently.

Did you manage to get the oil pan off without removing the engine?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Luckily I didn't need to drop the sump as when I undone the fitting, found it was bottoming out on the hydraulic fitting before it went tight in the pan so basically re-fitted with 2 dowty washers and luckily it then nipped up tight enough, I will be keeping a close eye on it though so may have to drop it if it works itself loose again. From a glance I would say either engine needs lifting or subframe needs dropping to remove the sump though but I could be wrong. PM incoming!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts