Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Detects stupidity. Attacks without mercy.
13,839 Posts
Well, first of all the tyres f**ked, so get a new one sharpish. But first get lots of pictures, both the wheels and the pot hole itself. No harm trying to get compensation from the council, but i dread to think how many other people are trying the same at the moment. I bet the hole will be fixed before you get a reply to your letter...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well, first of all the tyres f**ked, so get a new one sharpish. But first get lots of pictures, both the wheels and the pot hole itself. No harm trying to get compensation from the council, but i dread to think how many other people are trying the same at the moment. I bet the hole will be fixed before you get a reply to your letter...
You are right daddy cool thay will wriggle out of it some how just so mad!!!! new tire at £75 and the knocking could be arms or shock, who knows want be cheap though
pissed off!!!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

As you can see got a bump on the side wall of my tire
Hit a pothole in the road at 40 MPH and have a knocking noise now coming from the front side two what a bummer!!!! more money' or can i claim from the local council what do think
Evidence, evidence, evidence!!

Get pics of the tyre, get the wheel checked 'roundness. Have a chassis align/check done. Get lots of pics of the hole, close ups etc.

Then march down to the Highways dept in your local council and present them with a fait accompli, i.e. a bill for what you are claiming. Give them 14 days to respond or you will go down the Legal route.

Some, not all councils, will roll over! If it is a popular road for potholes (they exist) they will know about it already from other claims.

If they don't pay, take them through the small claims court. Quite cheap to you, ballache for them.

As long as your evidence stands up , you will win. Do not lie down and take it. You pay good money for your car, you pay tax for the road. You shouldn't have to pay for a Local council's ineptitude!

I did this when I hit a pothole in My Brabus. Managed to throw a huge chuck of rock out of the edge of the hole and scratch my rear door as well. Bulged tyre like yours and dented a V. expensive wheel. Had to have a chassis align as well as it pulled to the right afterwards.

They paid up and all was well but you must stand your ground and have all the evidence to hand.

Good luck.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've got an ongoing claim at the moment.

had my wheels all powder coated and 1 week later smashed one in 2 pieces on the mother of all pot holes!

Has been nearly 3 months now with nothing sorted yet.... its a long process.

its the second time this has happened to me over the years except this time I have the money and want to fight it till the end!

If you feel its the councils fault then contact them immediately and they should send you a claim form!

·
Registered
888 Posts
It's not that simple with claiming for pothole damage.
If the council have not had that particular hole reported to them then they don't have to pay a penny. Even if it has been reported there is some other clause that gives them a certain time frame to repair it.
In short your not getting a penny.

A guy at work has a BMW with 19 alpina wheels on it and hit a pot hole and damaged both front wheels and tyres(?600 a wheel and ?200 each for a tyre). He phoned the local council to complain and say he was taking them to court over the costs. They simply said we were unaware about this pothole so nothing he can do. They took that call as a report and two days later the hole was filled up.

Good old government/council hey!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just order some tires from camskill.com for ?65.00 for two they have a offer on at the moment ,I phoned around some company's they wanted ?55-?75 so iv got a bargain for two
And i phoned up about the pothole they told me they didn't know about it and said i can't clam because they didn't know the hole was there!!!! yea right

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.