Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got the car I was told that the cat back exhaust had been replaced for a stainless steel one (I think), can anyone tell from this picture? Due to the corrosion it just looks like a mild steel one to me!

The previous owner (tameracingdriver) had it fitted by the boys at AK, so maybe they might know?

Cheers.

· Registered
52 Posts
looks like steel to me, best test is a magnet, old school way,, if stainless wont stick a magnet, normal steel will stick a magnet,
old speaker magnet any thing really, just as long as it works, hope that helps

· Registered
52 Posts
to true indeedy,
another way which is a bit dodgy but be carefull,
get a wizzer, grinding disc fitted, then grind a normal piece of steel orange sparks indeed, then try on a piece of stainless, completely different colour and size of grind,
try it and you will see, next the carefull part try it on the exhaust but only a ikkle, dont wana grind through,

· Registered
5,016 Posts
Looks very similar to a standard OEM exhaust to me judging by the polished tailpipe and shape of backbox, although it's hard to tell from the photo. I believe they were stainless steel though but probably not a very high grade. It certainly looks very similar in appearance and condition to both exhausts on my 20 year old MK1's, believed to be stock.

Ignore above crap, it obviously isn't OEM as there's no centre box. One piece though which should narrow it down.

· Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will try a magnet, I thought it just looked like a mild steel one, but had it in the back of my mind that it was a stainless one for some reason.

· Registered
52 Posts
sounds like a plan andyk,
a decent magnet shouldnt stick to stainless, if theres little resistance then its a mixed compound, if it sticks solid then its steel, then no stick stainless,
try it on your kitchen sink as comparison, most sinks are stainless,

· Super Moderator
10,141 Posts
A fair bit of misinformation in this thread, mainly from one contributor.

It looks like 409, which is stainless, but low grade, typically used in non cosmetic exhaust applications, even by OEMs. It's also magnetic.

The blue/brown colour on the elbows is the main giveaway. Mild would just be brown. The box doesn't look stainless though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.