Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've had a strange problem with my Mk1 Eunos 1.8 over the last week or so. It's probably happened 2 or 3 times.

I was driving home after work in some light rain and had the wipers set to Inter - (The first one down). They worked as usual, and then suddenly stopped. Moving the stalk to Off, Inter or 1 had no effect on the wipers, and they'd stay stopped. The wipers WILL work when the stalk is at 2, and they work correctly (As in, full speed). If you knock it down to Off, Inter or 1, they will stop where they are, so I was having to time it right to get them to stop at the bottom of the windscreen.

Anybody have any ideas what may be causing this?

As I say, it's intermittent and it eventually started working again.

I thought it might have been a worn ignition but when I'd stopped at the lights I killed the engine and re-started - The problem still occurred. And with the wipers working at full speed I assume the circuit is OK? It will eventually revert back to normal so I've crossed off any blown fuses from my potential problems list...

Faulty Stalk?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Likely the wiper motor. If your lucky you can clean it up inside. It's an arm that wipes along a track. A replacement won't cost much though.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Handy post.

Just experienced the same thing whereby set to wipe on intermittent and the wipers were working fine then just stopped in the middle of screen. Shifting it to max speed cleared and continued to wipe but wouldnt work again in the intermittent setting.

After a few mins it started working again!!

Will try and clean out the motor contacts and then the switch.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If it's not the motor, it might be bad contacts in the stalk control unit. That'll mean steering wheel off and stripping and cleaning.

I've got a pile of old units Mk1 straight stalk type (from JYD and others) which I believe are all working, I can do for cost of post and a beer or pop round to Guildford to try a set.

Also might have a mk2 unit, I'll have to check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.