Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, just recently had my car back from a garage where i got my fuel leak fixed (the intake manifold needed spacers for the injectors to fit properly). anyway the guy finally got the engine to run...and then said he revved it to about 2k rpm to warm it up and he heard a noise like something was loose and the engine died, as i dont have the money i took the car back for my brother to have a look. turns out the teeth on the cambelt went (brand new belt) and i was told that the intake cam was siezed...its back loose now (not sure how) but obviously that cased the teeth on the timing belt to break. ive tried google and there doesn't seem to be any info on an mx5 with the camshafts not rotating...any ideas?

·
apologising from the heart of my bottom
5,795 Posts
good belt or a £1.99 ebay special?

how recently was it fitted?
correct tension?
recent oil change?
been run hot?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
proper belt, it had only been run once since fitted, very recent oil change as my mk2 engine died....crank went. so its a mk2 head on a mk1 bottom end, had it running fine, put all supercharger stuff put on and i couldn't get it started cause it was leaking fuel, took it to a garage, he got it started by fixing fuel leak....then died like few mins later

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
What are the headgasket concidderations with this combination? Is oil starvation possible?

The timeline is a little sketchy when trying to see when it went wrong. If all that happened is the spacer garage had it, I might think something fell in there. But jammed from turning both ways?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will do soon cheers, just saw a mate of mine down the gym and he said he was working on a suzuki jeep 16v and had a similar problem. apparently you can put the head gasket on upside down and it can close off some of the oil resivours/holes in the block and dry up the cam, as my brother had to put a head on a differently block this is entirely possible but ill have to wait for him to check.

·
Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
Sounds very much like oil starvation to the camshaft, possibly caused by headgasket blocking the oil supply hole. Head now fucked, get another one (with cams)

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
It looks like one gasket from 94 through to 2000. Then another 2001-2005 that you can put wrongly on the earlyer car, but it leads to cooling problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.