Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just rung up my insurers to change my policy over from my UK 2001 1.6 to an import Eunos mk1 1.8 (which I'm picking up tomorrow), and they've told me it will be an extra ?250 odd for the remaining 3 months of my policy! When I asked why such an increase they informed me that the mk1 import is insurance group 30! Is this correct?

I've not gone ahead with the change as yet as I just wanted to get my facts straight first.

Is an import mk1 1.8 really group 30?! If so, is this simply because it's an import?

I'm not particularly hot on this sort of thing so any advice / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
pin

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Different companies have different groupings but there is an industry standard grouping that you will find on parkers.com

groupings used to be to 25 but different insurers can go up to 50 or even 100.

Daz

insurancefactory.com

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Daz - I suppose if my insurers go up to 50 or 100 then 30 isn't so bad - just my mk2.5 1.6 is apparently group 11!

I was expecting insurance to work out at a similar price as the car I'm buying is 5 years older, but with a larger engine and slightly better spec.

Don't think it helps being 22 and having zero no-claims (though I've been driving 5 years accident free, I've always been on parents company insurance in the past...)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Try Adrian Flux, my quote was half the price of any other company i tryed.

Was speaking to a friend who works for swift cover, I asked whats the best occupation to have, 1st was retired, second was a house wife/husband

·
Experiencing life at a rate of several wtf's a
841 Posts
That's absolute bollocks, the insurance company I work for have it in the region of a groups 13-15 (can't remember precisely what). That's your current insurer's way of telling you they don't want you anymore. Either that or a very hefty admin fee!

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
a lot of companies will give you some no claims based on you being on other policies and company policies.

Shop around as its a competitive market and a import should not really be any more than a uk.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Try Performance Direct used them last yeat for my wifes Eunos 1.6 on classic with numerous modifications they where ?317 just renewed with them this year ?244 i am happy with that just limited to 3000 miles a year though

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Try Adrian Flux
and get stiched up at every opportunity.

they've been nothing but bother for me.. phoning me to tell me my insurance is invalid due to claims i've not told them about which then turns out i have told them but they made a mistake.
Not being able to change insurance over to a 106 when i took my old 5 off the road so had to buy another 5 or lose 10 months of insurance id already paid for and they wouldnt refund... etc etc.

Good quote from them though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have just rung up my insurers to change my policy over from my UK 2001 1.6 to an import Eunos mk1 1.8 (which I'm picking up tomorrow), and they've told me it will be an extra ?250 odd for the remaining 3 months of my policy! When I asked why such an increase they informed me that the mk1 import is insurance group 30! Is this correct?

I've not gone ahead with the change as yet as I just wanted to get my facts straight first.

Is an import mk1 1.8 really group 30?! If so, is this simply because it's an import?

I'm not particularly hot on this sort of thing so any advice / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
pin
Try some of the 'historic' insurers, my Eunos is only ?96/yr and I'm not a 50yr old beardy

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In a mad rush before picking up the car this morning I ended up just biting the bullet and updating my current policy - at a cost of just over 200squid... Only three months left so roll on no claims bonus and the opportunity to shop around for a half decent deal...

Cheers for all the recommendation, will definitely spend some time getting quotes from them all in a couple of months time. In the mean time though I've managed to forget the extra spend because the car is bloody awesome!

Cheers again.
Pin.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Try Adrian Flux
and get stiched up at every opportunity.

they've been nothing but bother for me.. phoning me to tell me my insurance is invalid due to claims i've not told them about which then turns out i have told them but they made a mistake.
Not being able to change insurance over to a 106 when i took my old 5 off the road so had to buy another 5 or lose 10 months of insurance id already paid for and they wouldnt refund... etc etc.

Good quote from them though.
[/quote]

There does seems to be endless arguments about this one fella but I would say there is more positive remarks over all. They have been nothing but nice to me every time I called/emailed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.