Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 NB RS Supercharged
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time MX5 owner but first time i've created a nutz thread.

After a lot of soul searching on what to buy as my next toy, the pull of a another MX5 became stronger and stronger. This car came up for sale locally and after a viewing I just had to buy it.

Previous owner had carried out a big list of mods and the spec is as follows:
  • 1998 Japanese import RS
  • 6 speed box
  • Torsen type 2 LSD
  • Eaton M45 supercharger from a 2005 Mini Cooper S. Teflon coated and rebuilt before install (new needle roller beatings and oil)
  • Salon Motorsport mounting and intake kit
  • Boost Products intercooler and Bofi Racing pipework kit
  • Forge FMDV004 BoV
  • 640cc injectors
  • ME442 standalone ECU (plug and play). Integrated wideband and 4bar MAP sensor and SD card for data logging
  • TR Lane roll bar
  • Bofi Racing lightened flywheel and hybrid paddle clutch
  • Tein Street Basis Z coilovers (rebuilt)
  • Genuine Quaife gear knob
  • Lotus Elise drivers seat on original sliders
Paintwork isnt the best and its needs some tidying, but it will serve as a great base for a track car.

Here's a few pics:

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

My 1 and 10 mile punch list has given me the following to solve:
  • Passenger headlight bulb blown & headlights need a polish
  • Need to change the steering wheel so I fit properly
  • The blown cat needs replacing
  • Car stalls on first startup but is fine there after (Hoping an ME ECU wizz might be able to suggest a quick fix here)
Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
571 Posts
Two things:

• Start-up mapping is relatively straight forward but can be quite a long process. I would suggest getting in touch with Alex Hickson (ME's own recommended remote tuner) via Facebook and paying for a remote tune/health check of the map since it's not been professionally dialled in. A badly tuned supercharged car can very quickly become a driveway ornament if not set up safely. That said, it probably not getting enough air at cold.
  • How long/far has the car drive since the charger was rebuilt do you know?
Looks like a really nice car :)

·
Registered
98 NB RS Supercharged
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two things:

• Start-up mapping is relatively straight forward but can be quite a long process. I would suggest getting in touch with Alex Hickson (ME's own recommended remote tuner) via Facebook and paying for a remote tune/health check of the map since it's not been professionally dialled in. A badly tuned supercharged car can very quickly become a driveway ornament if not set up safely. That said, it probably not getting enough air at cold.
  • How long/far has the car drive since the charger was rebuilt do you know?
Looks like a really nice car :)
Thanks, I’ve got this dyno sheet with the car so it’s been mapped. It drives great and pulls fine. Just seems to be that first start.

Schematic Font Rectangle Map Parallel

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,407 Posts
Some really good numbers from a M45 there.

·
Registered
98 NB RS Supercharged
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's funny you mention that as I was looking at your graph and wondering what the torque dip is at 3.5k

was wondering if it was belt slip?
Could have been, doesn't seem to have that issue when driving it. Going to get a laptop connected up over the weekend and get the logs checked on cold start. I suspect its because it was mapped in the middle of a hot summer so a true cold start wasn't really factored in.

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
571 Posts
Could have been, doesn't seem to have that issue when driving it. Going to get a laptop connected up over the weekend and get the logs checked on cold start. I suspect its because it was mapped in the middle of a hot summer so a true cold start wasn't really factored in.
an issue as old as time, honestly Alex Hickson nailed my start up or hot and cold first time, it's never needed adjusting.

However on my MS ECU on the other car, its taking a few goes. It's very close off the first tune but I still need to add a blip of throttle occasionally. That said, it's a thousand times better than I managed on my own, spent days trying to learn how to tune start up properly and it just doesnt work for me :p

·
Registered
98 NB RS Supercharged
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spent some time last night giving the interior a deep clean and fitting an old Nardi I had lying around.

Love these 90s Nardis as they are super thin and just feel so right in the hand. Hate a chunky steering wheel.

Eventually I’ll go to a small diameter prototipo but for now this’ll do!

Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Gauge

·
Registered
98 NB RS Supercharged
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice project, makes similar power to my turbo mk2 which I have been using for drifting. Funnily enough mine does very similar in having to turn over quite a few cranks before starting from cold but runs fine when warm so I think similar to you it was mapped in summer. Mine is running ms2 though not ME. Also I have a sports CAT sat in the garage at home, don't know where you are located but if needed send me a offer sure we can sort something. Cheers

·
Registered
98 NB RS Supercharged
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice project, makes similar power to my turbo mk2 which I have been using for drifting. Funnily enough mine does very similar in having to turn over quite a few cranks before starting from cold but runs fine when warm so I think similar to you it was mapped in summer. Mine is running ms2 though not ME. Also I have a sports CAT sat in the garage at home, don't know where you are located but if needed send me a offer sure we can sort something. Cheers
Thanks will drop you a pm!

Had a look at the map over the weekend and it looks to have out of the box Crank MSE and Warmup settings. Tried the basemap file and car still runs like a pig when cold, it looks to be way too rich at low RPMs. Have spoken to Alex Hickson (Thanks guitaristanime) and hes going to take a look.

Other than that i've just done a little more tidying to the car. I have removed the sun visors and have ordered some blanking plates, also going to remove the electric aerial as its knackered.

·
Registered
98 NB RS Supercharged
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty productive last few days. Pleased to report that the tune is now spot on and the car runs great, would highly recommend Alex Hickson.

May have also man mathsed myself into a new set of wheels. To be fair I needed tyres and these came up for the same price so…

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Looks like the exhaust will have to wait for now!

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,407 Posts
Nice!

Will get the new wheels fitted this week once a replacement locking wheel nut key arrives.

I'm also hovering over an MX5 only trackday on December 11th at Donington...
The cool kids are going on the 12th

1 - 20 of 23 Posts