Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of the petrol added injector cleaners worth using?
No idea if mine require cleaning but doubt that they have ever been done so thought I may give it a go.
Any product recommendations?

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,617 Posts
It's hard to know how good a job the various injector cleaning additives do, as you never measure the results. Anecdotally, you might read of someone failing the emissions test, using injector cleaner then passing the test, and that's probably the best evidence you'll find. I have seen a claim online of measured tests but they were manufacturer's claims and not independent.

If you want to remove the injectors for proper ultrasonic cleaning, Stigatronics on here does a mates rates service by return of post. If you go to that length, I'd be a bit wary of just giving them to a jeweller, as they will be set up to remove dirt from jewellery so may not use an appropriate solvent to remove gum and varnish from injector nozzles and of course they won't be able to test the spray pattern or flowrate afterwards.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I usually take mine out, go to a local jewellers, slip someone a cheeky tenner and ask them to bung them in the ultrasonic cleaner - works wonders
What a great idea.
Are the injectors easy to remove?
[/quote]

I assume its easy on an mx5, done it on 7 or 8 other cars, mainly hondas and it takes about 20 mins including getting the tools out
Haven't tried on the mx5 as not long had it and it needs other things before I actually run it on the road

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,617 Posts
It's fairly straightforward: Disconnect the fuel hoses, undo the bolts holding the rail in place and it just lifts off bringing the injectors with it. You need to be careful not to drop the plastic spacers which set the height of the rail.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
We offer a full ASNU injector cleaning service. Just ultrasonically cleaning them is a waste of time - it requires special fluid & the injector needs to be pulsed whilst being cleaned.

We do a deal of £10 + vat + postage/ injector for Nutz members. This includes all new seals, filters + pintle caps fitted!

Details can be found here:

http://www.blinkmotorsport.com/injectors.html

·
Registered
582 Posts
We offer a full ASNU injector cleaning service. Just ultrasonically cleaning them is a waste of time - it requires special fluid & the injector needs to be pulsed whilst being cleaned.

We do a deal of £10 + vat + postage/ injector for Nutz members. This includes all new seals, filters + pintle caps fitted!

http://www.blinkmoto.../injectors.html
Thats a great price!

...and the ONLY way to clean injectors!

BG44K is a pretty good fuel system cleaner, but ultrasonically cleaning injectors and then flow testing them is the only way to ensure they are clean, flowing correctly and giving the correct spray pattern

·
Registered
454 Posts

http://www.blinkmoto.../injectors.html
can you do it with just 4 injectors or do you need 6?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.