Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks as though I've stumbled across a large can of worms when it comes to MK1 induction. Some seem to swear by the standard air box and some vice versa.

What I'd like to know is whether you're for or against the standard airbox or a fancy induction kit?

I'm so confused about it, any help would be appreciated! :-D

Cheers,
Ed.

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
I like the standard airbox as it provides an element of noise reduction, others prefer the louder induction noise of a cone filter.

IMO the ideal intake kit is the JRCAI for a MK1 or the ILMotorsport kit for a MK2/2.5, it uses apanel filter and airbox for reduced noise, but provides the coldest air possible.

JRCAI

ILMotorsports

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried about noise, I've got an exhaust that does all that for me :p. Personally I was thinking more about performance.
It seems to be that a standard airbox with a sealed cold air feed (vented headlight or similar) is the way to go?

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
I'm hoping the blink thread will shed some light on the resonance chamber on the oem intake and cross over pipe vs normal pipe vs arc chamber and the general airbox/induction debate

·
Registered
2 Posts
My NA 1.6 has an enclosed K&N cone filter, Taking cold air from the base of the windscreen. I picked up the K&N from Aliexpress.com for a third of the cost in Australia. here is a couple of pics. Apart from induction note, I have noticed better throttle response. Oh I have an "ARC Induction chamber" as well.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought an induction kit a couple of years ago, it was on for just a few days and I removed it cos the engine felt like it lost power and the noise was tooo much, prefer the noise to be at the back

then I thought I would drill the standard airbox, it ran well perhaps slightly better but again the noise was too much, so I ducktaped it up

so if anyone wants a late mk1 1.8 drilled airbox, let me know I will swap for the same but undrilled

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.