Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

It's very rare that I get on the forum these days as workshop life is hectic all of the time, but this needs to be posted.

I have just spent the last few weeks playing with the fairly recently released Motorsport Electronics ME221 pnp ecu and finally after years of supplying, fitting, mapping MegaSquirt of all shapes and sizes, I am proud to announce that from this day on, my ECU of choice for most MX5 applications is now the ME221.

I didn't jump straight on the band wagon like a few others did, as I felt it very important for you guys that some serious testing was done before trying to use a new ECU, but I am now very happy to say that from a tuners view it is a better ecu than megasquirt, it saves time for me over megasquirt, it will be more reliable for the end user, more likely to pass emmissions tests without fettling, more likely to maintain a good idle and startup throughout the year as weather conditions change.

The ME221 still has the functions we need. It currently is missing a few of the gimmicky megasquirt functions, but I don't see this as a bad thing. It is a tool for making the engine run the way I want it to.

So from now on, if you contact me for an ECU, you will probably be sold the ME221, and if you want the best knowledge and results from a supplier and tuner to go with the ECU, then you know where to come.

Honestly guys.... THIS NEWS IS HUGE!!

lets get on with the future of mx5 tuning.. about time someone came up with something better for a similar price. MegaSquirt has been winding me up for far too long.

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,569 Posts
EPIC. Congrats to ME :) and you :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Awesome news!

My NB (VVT) is having an ME221 fitted at the moment. Do you fancy having a go at a map for an intercooled M45 setup? :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Interested how this Ecu can improve emissions. Does anyone know how this would be achieved as this is a particular annoyance of mine.

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,518 Posts
A nice endorsement for ME which should help drive their reputation in the MX-5 world.

I haven't followed the development threads (because, although I was interested, I made the conscious decision not to fill my head with stuff about another ECU as pushing new information in might push something important out :) ) but it seems to have come together in almost no time at all, relatively speaking.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Glad I picked this ecu now support seems to be growing. All though I haven't done any mapping another forum member had a go at it for me and I think he was impressed with the results

1 - 10 of 10 Posts