Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 1997 Mk1 (NA) 1.8 and I finally managed to get the Emanage blue hooked up to my ECU and have a couple of problems. Firstly, it will only fire up if I remove the Emanage ignition harness. I originally cut ignition 1 and 2 on the harness and connected them as per the instructions, but it won?t fire up. The instructions say:

Ignition 1 - blue/white wire to ECU
blue/black wire to Sensor

Ignition 2 - Orange/white wire to ECU
Orange/black wire to Sensor

Am I missing something? Am I correct in saying that there are only 2 ignition points on the ECU harness?

If I connect up the emanage to run with the MAF wire connected it wont start. I can only get it running with the MAF and ignition disconnected.

I have tripple/quadruple checked the wiring and have a copy of the correct wiring diagram for a 1997 1.8

I hooked my lap top up and made sure everything was zero'd and that the main unit was updated. I am using version 1.49 of the software. The jumpers inside are set as per the factory settings, and the pots are set to 3-A-3, everything else is zero'd.

Does anyone have any idea of what maybe wrong? I'm pulling my hair out with this, and getting close to going back to my damn'd MSD and Powercard Pro.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
3A3 ?
I just opened up another members working settings, and there different.

I would start again with the jumpers and switch's. Unless its different because your maf is different. Mk2 not Mk1

edit: had a mozie. I dont see a 3A3 listed in the greddy info~ pack

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3A3 ?
I just opened up another members working settings, and there different.

I would start again with the jumpers and switch's. Unless its different because your maf is different. Mk2 not Mk1
What were the settings? I followed the manual and set the jumpers as described. I tied setting the pots to 3-A-0 and its still no go. I'd be happy if I could just get the damn'd ignition harness working.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
3A0 and 3AC are listed. Depending on car.

edit: the cars ign wires are green/white & brownish grey. They move around in 97 but the colours stay the same.
The emu fitting guide had some great info but its not made it from here to the faq it seems. Another forum also has it though. Can someone help with which forum? I would like to confirm which one of the wire wires goes to which pair on the emb. I just have black&white pics, and i know they pair up somehow..

·
Registered
422 Posts
mine's set to 3-A-3

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3A0 and 3AC are listed. Depending on car.

edit: the cars ign wires are green/white & brownish grey. They move around in 97 but the colours stay the same.
The emu fitting guide had some great info but its not made it from here to the faq it seems. Another forum also has it though. Can someone help with which forum? I would like to confirm which one of the wire wires goes to which pair on the emb. I just have black&white pics, and i know they pair up somehow..
Are you sure? The diagram I have froma couple of sources show the colours as brown and brown and yellow at 4N and 4R.

Here is how mine looks.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I really should zip up until i see the missing article. Pritty sure it was daz's work, and its gone from the pinned topics. Its on another forum though, ive seen it linked to.

What i did find, was a link from craigo that shows the wires jump between plugs on the 97
http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35646&view=findpost&p=486937

I got my info from just that. No other source. Sources i need to see to help propperly. Ive even lost my own notes as im between houses. Im pritty useless to you... But as an auto spark its something im happy to go over, if someone finds it

edit: from greddy

No talk there of a 1.8 in a NA annoyingly

brown & brown/yellow sound a lot more firmiliar

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I really should zip up until i see the missing article. Pritty sure it was daz's work, and its gone from the pinned topics. Its on another forum though, ive seen it linked to.

What i did find, was a link from craigo that shows the wires jump between plugs on the 97
http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35646&view=findpost&p=486937

I got my info from just that. No other source. Sources i need to see to help propperly. Ive even lost my own notes as im between houses. Im pritty useless to you... But as an auto spark its something im happy to go over, if someone finds it

edit: from greddy

No talk there of a 1.8 in a NA annoyingly

brown & brown/yellow sound a lot more firmiliar
Those wiring diagrams are not the same for a 1997 1.8. If the Emanage was borked, am I correct in saying that none of it would work?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anymore suggestions?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what I get when I load up the support tool'

I just cant seem to run the ignition harness and am at a total loss as to why its not working. I've gone through and checked every wire a dozen times and gone over the ECU pinouts countless times.

·
Registered
446 Posts
EDIT just noticed yours is a 97. Info I had was for a 94.

Fact is that with nothing input on the EMB the car should run exactly as stock which leads me to believe it is a wiring issue. Possible a fualty plug on the EMB?

Does it run if you dont run the MAF through the EMB but leave the ignition connected etc? Or does it only run with BOTH the MAF and ignition bypassed?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EDIT just noticed yours is a 97. Info I had was for a 94.

Fact is that with nothing input on the EMB the car should run exactly as stock which leads me to believe it is a wiring issue. Possible a fualty plug on the EMB?

Does it run if you dont run the MAF through the EMB but leave the ignition connected etc? Or does it only run with BOTH the MAF and ignition bypassed?
It only runs with both the MAF and the ignition bypassed.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
there are only maf ign and fuel anyway though? and the fuel bit doesn't run through the emb, there just taps. You have not shown us that any of the wireing works except for power and the usb.

I followed this, and only this(and its took aaaaaages too find)
http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=485

Its very easy to follow if you do exactly what it says. You cant skip ahead as he moves wires around in the plugs, which changes there purpose.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there are only maf ign and fuel anyway though? and the fuel bit doesn't run through the emb, there just taps. You have not shown us that any of the wireing works except for power and the usb.

I followed this, and only this(and its took aaaaaages too find)
http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=485

Its very easy to follow if you do exactly what it says. You cant skip ahead as he moves wires around in the plugs, which changes there purpose.
Thanks, I've read that thread a few times. Thinking about it your assumptions maybe correct, as the only time it all falls apart is when wires are cut and not spliced. It seems I need to get hold of another harness and try them out. Would an Emanage ultimate harness work on a blue?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have just rechecked the wires and made sure that there were no breaks in them by using a multi meter. I plugged the harness into the emanage and put a probe on each end.

I am starting to think that maybe the emanage is knackered. Is there anyone near Stafford that has one fitted that they would be willing to swap out for a few min's? It would be a simple job of just unplugging it and plugging it into my harness. I just need to rule out the emanage as being the problem.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
im still puzzled by 3A3 tbh. 3A0 is listed. perhaps select that and do a full power down incase its only conciddered at switch on.
Is there a reason why yourself and percy have chosen 3 as your airmeter type? It seems important to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have just rechecked the wires and made sure that there were no breaks in them by using a multi meter. I plugged the harness into the emanage and put a probe on each end.

I am starting to think that maybe the emanage is knackered. Is there anyone near Stafford that has one fitted that they would be willing to swap out for a few min's? It would be a simple job of just unplugging it and plugging it into my harness. I just need to rule out the emanage as being the problem.
I have a 1996 1.8 UK.....was recommened 3A3, tried that didn,t work. Now using 3AO works great.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts

I have a 1996 1.8 UK.....was recommened 3A3, tried that didn,t work. Now using 3AO works great.
[/quote]

I have tried 3-A-0 and 3-A-C, none of them work. I thought the last letter/number identified the air meter? The problem I have seems to be with the ignition side.

·
Registered
422 Posts
im still puzzled by 3A3 tbh. 3A0 is listed. perhaps select that and do a full power down incase its only conciddered at switch on.
Is there a reason why yourself and percy have chosen 3 as your airmeter type? It seems important to me.
There was a very old thread from here I linked to from one of Flukes other threads, basically the mk1 1.8 isn't formally listed in the EMB manual & the thread in question stated that the majority of mk1 1.8's should actually be set to 3-A-3 & NOT 3-A-0.

Maybe the '97/'98 1.8's are different?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts