Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Iam Membership.. Worth Doing?

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  chrisgunton 
#1 ·
Apparently there is an offer in Derbyshire for ?50 off IAM membership, test, etc.. for under 19-25year olds.

I have been thinking about going for it, and read a few bits and pieces on PistonHeads about it. Just wondered if anyone on Nutz has any experience of the IAM course and if it really is worthwhile?
If there are any insurance discounts I suppose that would be a bonus aswell, but it's mainly for the experience. At a bargain price

Dave.

See less See more
#6 ·
Yep that's what I was after really.. peoples experience on the course.

I'm not holding my breath for any substantial insurance discounts

#8 ·
I can't put into words how much I hated my local IAM club.

I had a load of lessons which were interesting. But on sveral occasions I fell out with the instructor about their rules and practices (you lose points on the test if you indicate when moving back into the left hand lane for example, or indicating when there are no other vehicles around).

If an insurance company recognises the IAM and offers discount I found them more expensive than those who didnt.

Screw the IAM and do a carlimits course.

#9 ·
I fell out with the instructor about their rules and practices (you lose points on the test if you indicate when moving back into the left hand lane for example, or indicating when there are no other vehicles around).
That was my concern to be honest, there might be a lot worth learning on the course.. but I have to say I am a bit worried about it being packed in there with equally as much bullshit.

Any other thought much appreciated

I have done an MOT Car Control day already - which was good
But if I am persuaded the IAM course is not worth taking then I might just book a trackday!

Dave.

#10 ·
Also, when I met an examiner for my practice test, he immediately marked me down because We got straight into my car and started the engine - I didn't spend 15min examining the car, checking tyre pressures and oil level before setting off, and then marked down again because I didn't check my mirrors were properly positioned before setting off..........ffs.

#11 ·
I'm only really interested in IAM if it gives you a significant discount on insurance. On the driving side I'm not bothered as I was once a driving instructor which is examined at a higher level than the IAM test (but I can't get a discount on insurance for it!).

I think I will look at car control and track days as a better way of improving my driving skills.

#12 ·
The IAM is about good driving on the road though, and a trackday isnt. Each will teach you a great deal about driving, but very different aspects of it

I did the IAM tuition/test years ago, and think it was a great help. I dont subscribe to every detail throughout driving these days but many aspects certainly do.

At that price its good value too, as you'll get as much tuition or re-tests as you need
. Also their are some good tutors out there, granted some are fuddy-duddies but not all of them.

Insurance wise, forget about it. I didnt see any change there, but it may help prevent a crash in the future saving you your no-claims discount at least

#14 ·
Well I used to be an instructor a number of years back so the general road driving side of things I'm fairly happy with (though theres always room for improvement). However I have no experience of track days or putting the car into 'interesting' situations like on a car control day so these are areas I'd like to explore. As there's no saving on insurance (or a negligible one) from doing IAM I will look at the control/track days. If money was no object I'd do both.

#13 ·
Buy yourself a copy of Roadcraft and see if you can put up with driving that way.

It does change your driving for the better but some instructors will be anal about the application of roadcraft others will not mind certain things. The system of roadcraft is made for the police and yet certain police forces have driver policy that contradicts the teaching of roadcraft. This is only in minor issues with force policy stating that police will indicate for every manouver.

Having passed a 3 week driving course I am now eligible for AIM membership so thank you for reminding me.

With regards to car control days, yes you would learn more about how to handle your car when it is out of control, but roadcraft is all about a system of driving which makes you safer and more mechanically sympathetic.

P.S. My driving course was the best course I have ever done. It was extremely tiring but my driving has improved immensely.

#15 ·
Couldn't go on an IAM course myself. I refuse to stop using my brakes and gears to slow down at junctions and so I would end up wanting to throttle my instructor just as happened when I took a County Council minibus test a couple of years ago: "Excellent driving Mr.Handy but about the way you slow down at junctions..."

I shall just settle for going on my Speed Awareness Course on Friday...

#16 ·
Break gear overlap is fine in certain situations as part of a planned approach to tight junctions, gradients and with a vehicle up your arse.

After doing my course I found myself planning further ahead, entering roundabouts at the same speed as the traffic on them so you can fit into smaller gaps.

It's horses for courses really and tbh I'm not sure if I would pay for the course if my work didn't. Particularly without the speed exemption.

#20 ·
I don't agree with this, and I don't agree that you shouldn't indicate when no-one's around: point is that you might know what you're doing but others don't necessarily - you can't account for the idiots - and it's safer to always indicate. it doesn't hurt, it may not help, but there are circumstances when it *will*.

#19 ·
Been thinking of doing the course, went to a couple of meetings, had a chat with a few peeps amd what I have to say is:

1. They are so very anal about certain practices that I can`t imagine them improving Your driving. examples: push - pull steering (stupid relic of times when cars had no ps, rotational is quicker and safer, yet they still mark You down for using it and You will NOT pass the advanced exam if you don`t push-pull; indicating - I blive You should ALWYAS indicate, even if there are just tumbleweeds in 20 miles radius. As long as You are fully aware why You are indicating anch check if the manuver is safe than I can`t see the reason for not indicating but they do and will mark You down on it.
2. Course (at least the veggining are SO boring). It might be diffrent for me as I passed my driving licensce in Poland and before even getting behind the wheel of L car I had to go through a lot of boring but necceserry theory. In UK there is no "driving theory" so this is what they do on the course.
3. My good friend is a biker and member of IAM advanced riding group. They meet up weekly and traing fast (as in up to a 100 mph) and safe ridning while beeing supervised by police riders. IAM driving will not teach You how to drive fast
. Why so much diffrence beetween 2 branches of the same organsation I don`t know. In the end my riding mate came to few of them car meeting I was going to and all he said was ... "f..g hell, thats boring".

And You have to pass the IAM "course for life" to qualify for the insurance discount. If You can`t drive excatly like they want You to than You are stuffed.
Oh...at 28 I was getting the avrage age down quite a bit, I would say before I went into the room it was about 65..

Your call mate, I would leave the well alone

Raf

#23 ·
Let the debate begin
I agree about the indicating regardless of people being around. It's hardly an effort and it's likely to do more good than it is harm.

Looks like the general consensus is that it's probably better doing a track day. Which does appeal more to be honest, shame there isn't a ?50 discount for under 26s eh?

Will see how funds go in the summer.
Dave.

#24 ·
I encounter far more people indicating and moving out without really looking than I do people properly checking all areas before any indication and subsecuently not indicating. It's basic, if you've looked in all areas before you act then you know whether you need to indicate. If you blindly indicate then your obviously not making sure it's necessary.

#25 ·
IAM will teach you to only indicate when necessary. Roadcraft states to only indicate when it is beneficial for another road user.

This is the thing, it will really depend on who your instructor is as to how anal they will be and whether you will enjoy it.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well here we go... sounds like a lot of you need to do the cource

IAM will teach you to only indicate when necessary. Roadcraft states to only indicate when it is beneficial for another road user.
Thats the way it should be, no doubt about it in my mind. If your not aware of whats going on around you then thats why you wouldnt pass the test, indicating or not

#27 ·
The present way of thinking of whether or not to indicate is to make you think about what you are doing and therefore actually look rather than do things out of habit and possibly not really look. As for the IAM, any training after passing your test is good but as most of you are now experienced drivers a quick refresher lesson with a GOOD instructor would be beneficial and cheaper. I've tested several IAM drivers of several years standing and they wouldn't have passed a B test, most drivers think they are better than they are. Do track day training, more fun and they teach you to know your limits as well as the cars. If you're not thinking about things further ahead after a track day you've got problems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.