Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I fit rear mudflaps. Got some off painter dave earlier on today but I am having issues trying to fix them onto the car.

The holes are standardly pretty big in the bumper. I went to a motor factors place to get some bolts to attach them as the old ones were corroded and knackered. I took the mudflaps into the shop and the guy said I would be better with some self tappers and some plate things which the self tappers tapped into. I did originally think about using self tappers as I have done this with a front splitter before to good effect.

When I came to it the flaps it was pretty arkward as I was just using a conventional screwdriver and it was probably too long. Dave took them off with a socket set rather than a screw driver but the man in the local shop was adiment that self tappers would be better.

Anyway to describe these things the self tappers went into they look like a clip which go over something (eg a wheel arch and you just screw the self tapper in but to no avail I couldnt line the mudflap up with the holes and couldnt get the clip right over the hole. They felt too narrow (wouldnt push all the way on). Is my problem just a matter of prizing the clip open more to go over the hole. it currently wont push all the way on?

Sorry if I seem to be rambling...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like you're describing what we used to call a "speedclip". That's what my local Ford dealer called them when we were on first name terms back in the late 80's. They were designed to slip over a metal panel ie less than 2mm thick and have a one-way tang on them to stop 'em falling off, then you offer up the part and secure with a self-tapper. In the application I'm thinking of, you slipped them on a radiator cowl panel (bodyshell), then offer up the radiator and the screw clamps it all together.

I'm not familiar with the flaps you mention (are they the 'flares' fitted to iS models?) but with normal mudflaps we used to put the speedclip on the arch flange, then butt the flap up to the arch and put the self-tapper through an 'effin big washer then through the flap and into the clip, tighten up and job done. Until the mud build up caused the arch to rot and then it all falls off but hey-ho such is life.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, not sure if the clip what i have decribed is the clip you have. The clip is the type of clip you get with after market speakers to attach them to the doors if that helps.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Jon,

1. Put the clips on the edge of the bumper over the holes
  2. line the holes up with your mud gaurds
  3. screw through both
  4. simples
Dave most probably had a philips screw head on his ratchet to allow accessibility in the small area.

If you've not got one or a stubby screw driver, then take your wheel off to allow more room.

Also if the holes do not line up, then simply drill new holes

·
Waiting For The Summer
2,445 Posts
lol, not sure if the clip what i have decribed is the clip you have. The clip is the type of clip you get with after market speakers to attach them to the doors if that helps.
If they're similar to the MK2/2.5 ones then, yes, that's what they are. But they are for fitting small bolts rather than self tappers. On mine, I had to cut a small tab out of the arch liner where it sits over the clip (the clip slides onto the lip of the wheel arch)
The bolts go in the top hole and underneath on the bottom of the part. There are also two Christmas tree type "screws" that push in and are slightly longer than the ones you remove from the arch liner

Hope that makes sense

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.