Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, yes, hi, I think I will start a topic to document procedings. I like reading other people's topics, why not start my own. Well, probably because it will not really go anywhere, soon (or ever), but what the heck, here we go.

I bought my 1998 1.6 NB in May 2019, while we were living in a mobile home on a camping site, between houses. I spent some time doing up the new house, the little car didn't get any real attention but I started sourcing bits and bobs to turbo it, later. I also changed plans to go 1.8 VVT instead of keeping the 1.6, as the 1.6 was a bit older and I like to have a very driveable car. From the start, 220 flywheel hp is the goal. Starting with the bigger flat-torque-curve engine made sense to me. I found a source in the Netherlands (where I live) that buys British crashed MX5s and parts them out, so I bought an engine and gearbox. I also found a torsen dif. Then the house fel apart some more so that took some time to fix, other familiy stuff got in the way and only last August I did the mechanical swap to 1.8 and torsen. The mechanics were done in 3 days, but then the fun started. I got a Speeduino ECU and tried to wire it in. I failed big time, as I don't understand electronics. So end of november I got the engine to go. Now we are end of February and the car is well tuned, only some idle issues to clear up. I already tested it will pass MOT with flying colours end of March, as far as the exhaust gasses are concerned. Great! In between fixing the house, I found a thicker brake booster which I fitted and I exchanged the rubber brake hoses for braided ones. Noticable improvement and the rubber that came of was very bad. So, what's next?

Well, I am collecting all sorts of bits and bobs to go turbo. There is no budget (house ate budget) so I buy a lot of inferior stuff from Ali, and I will make it work. I managed to source a good second hand Garrett GT2554r, which is exactly what I wanted, so we are on par there. I bought two stainless 3" exhaust dampers while on sale from a Dutch supplier 'Simons'. Some manifold and pipe stuff is en-route to me, but before I throw on the turbo I want to change the cooling system. I would like to improve it, get the hose further away from the intake / throttle valve housing and I would like the intercooler piping to fit over it. I googled for an evening and settled on this little gem:

2184_0.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It is the radiator from an Alfa Romeo (type 33 I believe), OE number 60538379. I has 32 mm connections like my NB has, the mounting prongs on the bottom are 610 mm apart while on the NB they are 620 mm apart. I think I can just put spacers under the rad brackets and it will pretty much slide in, I will need to block of airflow at the sides and top a bit. This is rad is right for my project, as it is lower (intercooling piping over the top) is crossflow (better cooling) and thicker (better cooling). I ordered the filler-on-a-tube, which will be in the cooling reroute tube at the highest point in the system. I think (wishful thinking, I believe this is called) it should be easy and should work. I wil start shooting pics when I do the swap, to post here.

So, now I have to wait for the radiator and some other stuff to arrive, then I can finish the cooling system the way I want it. In the meantime, I drive the car quite a bit and enjoy the 1.8 VVT engine.

Cheers,

Hugo

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Manifold wise...i have a gizfab St/ St that has a hairline crack that will be tig welded and braced tomoz night by my welder workmate It came off my car a week ago...cracked due to heavy track use so ive gone cast kraken. T25 set up im gt2554r too
I only want a £100er plus postage for it. Retails over £350.00

8dda49864dfb119bd7dc8425c45dd0c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the offer, I've chosen another route.

Some other things I did to the car is I changed the stereo to a single DIN unit, I found an old second hand one cheap and it doesn't look too out of place in the 1998 car. This leaves me room above the radio for two more gauges, I will fit a boost gauge (Yeah!!!) and a simple analogue ARF gauge. Both come from Ali so I don't have high expectations, but they are more 'indicators' to me then read measuring devices. Measuring I do with the laptop hooked up. With the laptop I can also see how far off the gauges really are. I just like having those two extra gauges, if they really go wacky I know I need to hookk up the laptop and see what's happening. To mount the gauges I will 3D print a cluster. While on the subject of 3D printing...

As pretty much every NB, the hinge on the centre console lid was broken. I found a fix on Thingiverse and implemented it with great success:

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:766038

20200223_142702.jpg

Next, I made the mistake of refitting the clove comparment (after I mounted the ECU behind it) while it was freezing cold outside. So, the right hand side hinge part which you need to click in place snapped off. Lesson learned, don't mess with old plastic when cold. But I fixed it and the fix is holing up well:

20210123_161821.jpg

20210123_162258.jpg

Small fixes can be very satisfactory, too, and come easier than upgrading the cooling system, swapping engines or adding turbos.

Hugo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmmmm, any reason the last pic, from Google photos, doesn't show? It does show in my preview. I've got more pics to share but if they don't show, there's little use in sharing them.

I designed and printed a gauge cluster for my dash this morning (yes, I have a day off) and it fits well:

20210301_130151.jpg

It's a bit too thick and I need to testfit the gauges.Once it is all OK I print one in black PETG. This is cheap (left-over) PLA I use for proto-ing.

And I fitted a new rubber seal thing around the shifter, as the old one had parished:

20210301_131459.jpg

Hugo

dl.dropboxusercontent.com

·
layabout
2,180 Posts
Hmmmm, any reason the last pic, from Google photos, doesn't show? It does show in my preview.
posting images on this forum is a pain, if you use the 'img] tags it just loads the hyperlink :rolleyes:

nDHZf0r.png

using the 'image' icon (middle, bottom row) usually works but theres always Chaos theory in forums :wallbash:

Rich.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer, no worky. It doesn't seem to like the links to Google Photos. I need to host somewhere else, I gues.

Hugo

·
layabout
2,180 Posts
I think I fixed the pics. Can someone confirm?

Cheers,

Hugo
6iTrjHc.png

looks like it B)

I had a nightmare uploading a load of images in my thread earlier, no issues on M5's forum though so it's just this forum....

:wallbash:

Rich.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
The rad is in:

20210305_183854.jpg

There is a hole in the right hand side tank (lower side of the picture) which I blocked with an M22x1,5 carter plug. I had a 12" fan on the shelf which I can make to fit the fan brackets on the rad, this is going in the right direction. I only didn't see the thin tube exit at the top, I need to close that off in a decent fashion.

Hugo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Today as an amazing day. The cooling system is in! I had a plan for today, to fit the fan to the new rad, remove the old rad with fan and maybe trailfit the new rad with fan. Well, it worked out better…

I printed a bottom lip for the fan:

20210307_122733.jpg

And I bent some aluminium for the upper support:

20210307_124109.jpg

And it all went together well:

20210307_124353.jpg

Next, I removed the old radiator and had a look at the mounting points. On the NB, the rad has for prongs with rubber bushings on them, one on each corner. I took two off and compared the prongs to the ones on the Alfa rad. Same diameter! Just a little too long, but nothing a hacksaw couldn't fix:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
20210307_135110.jpg

Bushings fitted:

20210307_135424.jpg

So, while the going is good, I was only about an hour into the job, I decided to just throw in the Alfa rad and see. And, low and behold, it dropped straight in, no problems, as if it belonged there! No modifications to the brackets or anything else!

20210307_134942.jpg

On the left side, the original hose fits unmodified, but it rubs against the (plastic lined) steering oil piping a bit. And I closed the extra barb with a piece of left over hose, but I want to have something better there, later:

20210307_143739.jpg

On the right hand side I cut the reroute hose and fitted a new filler at the highest point, the rest was just a straight fit:

20210307_143743.jpg

The reroute hose was slightly larger in diameter here than and the 32 mm ends, so I needed to turn the crap out of the hose clamps to close it but I think it works.

And then it was time to start her up:

I planned to make a wooden filler piece above the radiator, but because it all went together so fast and easy, I will drive to a local aluminium fabricator tomorrow morning and have a fitting plate cut and bent. I also figured out what I need to the top mounting of the radiator, so I will source those grommets as well and mount the rad to the alloy plate. The plate will be bolted to the front of the car temporarely, and riveted in when all is done. That will be after the turbo / intercooler is fitted.

The new set-up takes about 50cc more coolant. To me that is very positive. The hoses haven't changed, the tanks on this radiator are a lot smaller than the original ones, so there is plenty more coolant in the cooling section.

Cheers,

Hugo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Small but nice progress this morning. I fitted the aluminium plate above the radiator. The plastic was left on, it's easy to draw on when I need to poke holes for the intercooling piping:

20210313_085534.jpg

Next, I just refitted the right hand side upper radiator support, as it contains the hood support bracket as well:

20210313_085601.jpg

But I noticed, looking at the other radiator support bracket which I didn't refit, the little yellow plastic clamp thingy is fitted in a square hole. Hmmm, there is a hole where the bracket used to poke through:

20210313_085646.jpg

Yep, done!

20210313_085717.jpg

It's details like this that really make my day.

I ordered a rubber vibration damper, 25x10 mm with M6 threaded ends, to fix the upper radiator eye to the aluminium plate. This will arrive somewhere next week per mail. Unfortunately all shops are closed, so I need to order. Otherwise I would have bought it locally, today.

Cheers,

Hugo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Progress in details, I mounted the radiator more to the right hand side of the car. I had a serious air gap on both the left and right hand sides and the power steering hardlines rubbed against the lower coolant connection. I could have bent the power steering lines a bit, but I decided to move the radiator. Not only does this solve the rubbing issue, it also almost closes the gap on the right hand side of the radiator. On the left side, in makes the gap bigger (duh) that will allow me to make a cold air intake there. And since the turbo is mounted on that side, that is a good thing. Some pics and comments:

I started with the right hand bracket. This simply needs a cut:

20210318_203102.jpg

And a spacer strip in between:

20210318_204736.jpg

Then my MIG welder broke down. I wired in a 12V power source to activate the gas solenoid and power the wire feed, but it means I now have only one wire speed and no gas control. It makes for adventurous welding… And I am not a competent welder to begin with.

Bracket done:

20210318_212419.jpg

Bracket in thick coat of Hammerite:

20210318_213439.jpg

The left hand bracket got a similar treatment to become a Z-shaped bracket:

20210321_072922.jpg

And I suspended it to dry in the living room, from the piano stool. It was too cold in the shed.

With the brackets fitted (BTW, I test-fitted often in between steps, of course), the radiator now is where it should be. On the right hand side, it fits pretty snug:

20210320_142618.jpg

On the left, it no longer rubs and there is a nice opening to make the cold air intake into:

20210320_142611.jpg

On the top of the radiator, I fitted the 25 x 10 mm rubber damper that arrived last week. I should have bought a 25 x 15 in hindsight, but a few rings solved that problem:

20210320_143608.jpg

So, radiator done and dusted. Unfortunately, a lot of the intercooler parts I ordered are stuck in customs, so I have to wait for those. The plan is to fit the intercooler next and then see how it will hook up to the intake. I also am awaiting two more stainless steel elbows to start on the exhaust, those should arrive next week somewhere.

Cheers,

Hugo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Time for an update. I have done several things since the last post, but I didn't feel like going through the hassle of hosting the pics

I received the terrible Aliepress manifold, but I have a plan. I read several reviews of this item, on various media, and I can divide them into two groups. People who complain the walls of the tubes are too thin, causing them to rupture sooner or later. And people who weld in a brace between the two flanges, taking the load off of the tubes. I chose to join the second group of people:

Cardboard template:

20210327_105006.jpg

Tube and template:

20210327_105105.jpg

Ready to cut:

20210327_105207.jpg

In the meantime I cut the part, and had it welded in by a friend. No pic, maybe later, but you get the idea.

I made a start with the stainless 3" exhaust. When all you have is a hammer, you tend to treat every problem as a nail; I have a 3D printer so I print simple tools like this little tube, aiding in drawing (and cutting) straight lines, and a 60 degree cut for the tip:

20210404_132454.jpg

And with a bit of fiddling, it starts to take shape. The lot is hung from the original mounting points, with the original rubbers:

20210402_123359.jpg

I also mounted the Speeduino ECU behind the glove compartment and the big interior ventilation hose that runs there, and I had a USB cable in the passenger footwell. I bought a USB extender cable and I printed a little spacer, which enables me to make a socket for the ECU connection that is out of sight but easily reached when you know it's there:

20210417_153614.jpg

20210417_153606.jpg

20210417_153931.jpg

20210417_154056.jpg

While working on the car, I accidentally tore the fabric in the wind blocker. I found the material has actually very much disintegrated, due to exposure to sun and wind for 23 years. Even the slightest touch would make more damage. I took the material out of the frame and I sourced new fabric. I will try to put the old leather lining with the steel bar in it on the new fabric, and fit it to the old frame. It will be my first try with a needle and thread, who knows…

IMG-20210514-WA0000.jpg

Since last week, my car suffers from a dislocated front numberplate, but I kind of like it. Don't look at the paint, the entire front needs a respray, this is temporary:

IMG-20210427-WA0007.jpg

Last but not least, I found the feared rust bug in the inside of the inner sills at the back, just in front of the rear wheels, 'where it should be'. I found it using a $ 10.00 snake cam from ebay, useful tool I bought 5 years ago. The pics aren't great, but moving the camera about inside the sill while watching the laptop screen gives a good view of the terrible events inside:

WIN_20210429_21_14_08_Pro.jpg

I think I have a cunning plan, I also doubt it will work, but I will present that and ask your advise in a separate topic.

That's all for now, insert tumble weed gif pic…

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I cleared the garage to be able to get the car inside. The parts arrived yesterday and they stare at me...

20210603_155159.jpg

Now I probably don't need the entire sill, but I think I will do it anyway. The car is scheduled for a complete respray, as the nose, rear bumper and bonnet need it too, so with the sides requiring it a full respray is the only way. And when I see the hours I will not be paying when I do the metal work myself, I am saving a lot of cash, which is better spend on good paint. The budget for the turbo, as far as there ever was one, is out the window now. Too bad. It will come in the future, as the car wil now have a future.

Hugo

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Cut it all out. Do it properly. Cavity wax keep on top of your drain channel clears. Will be fine for years.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I am going in deep and fix it properly:

I made a second video and set up a playlist:

I have a hard time figuring out what the panels behind the sill panel looked like, I need to largely fabricate those myself since I cannot find replacements. But since the original panels came out in brown powder form, I don't have a template for fabricating the new panels. If anyone has pictures (or does know a seller of replacement panels), please let me know.

Cheers,

Hugo

·
Banish a little rust a day people
4,869 Posts
Heres a mk2 inner sill that I think you are referring to. Might be cheaper elsewhere was one of the first I found.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. Close, but no sigar... I've nicked this pic of the MX5city website blog and put in some arrows:

The red arrow showes the panel you linked, but that one I don't need. The blue arrows are on the panels I need, at the tip they are missing a waving folded down lip. That lip is also largely missing on my car, so I want to reconstruct it.

Cheers,

Hugo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts