Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the clutch slave cylinder failed on my mk2 this week only had the car a couple of weeks
while it was in being fixed (luckily i have a garage 2 min walk from my flat ) i enquired about a basic oil/plugs/filter service 'depends on what needs replacing' said the mechanic 'but your probably looking at about £175 ' .
now that sounds a bit steep for a basic service ? not having owned a 5 before i wouldn't know but i remember reading either here or on the mx5 o/club that someone wanted £150 to do a belt service !

· Registered
893 Posts
Use the forum and YouTube as a guide,and learn to do it yourself. I'd never done a thing on a car myself ever in 25 years of driving,but thanks to Nutz members posts and advice,nobody has touched my mx5,all done myself. It's a dead simple car to work on,and support is huge. If you learn,and price hunt,you should be quids in . Examples I've paid-
Castrol Magnatec fully synthetic 4 litre oil - £15
Bosch plugs - £6 a set
Ht leads - £18
Oil filter - £4
Air filter - £10 (now changed to Pipercross though)
Do it yourself,and you'll be able to change your oil every few months to keep it tip-top.
Garages are a rip off,and you've no idea what cheap shitty of they're putting in!

· Registered
1,176 Posts
Changing the oil requires getting a suitable container under the car, and the correct sized socket on the end of a 'bar'

The first time I serviced a car, I was penniless student, with mini 100, I cut a hole in the side of plastic wash fluid container, and dug a hole in the gravel drive, drove the car over, and 5 minutes later I had the oil out. I plunged a screw driver into the oil filter with a sharp hammer blow, and 5 mins later I had the new filter in place. Sump plug back in, refill with oil. Pour oil into the empty oil container. 15 mins total ?
Spark plugs 2 mins each ? air filter 8 mins ?

These days I drive the car onto my ramps, but I reckon I can service cavalier, mx5 and honda accord in about 3 hours with a cup of tea between each one, and I even use plastic gloves to save my gay hands.

· Registered
666 Posts
It looks a nightmare but once the plastic cover is off its pretty straight forward be warned u will be buzzing after ur under the car with the filter filled with pressure. I remember reading something that depressurises the system as I wouldn't like getting attacked by fresh petrol

· Registered
666 Posts
No system doesn't need bled but the fuel in it is pressurised. I have a fuel cut switch and I think I just switched that till the engine cut out so no fuel in the system but dunno what else u could do to release the pressure but a tutorial that I read will tell u.. Was a while ago

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.