Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Can't seem to find a decent MK1 manifold for a reasonable price so I think I may have to make do with modifying a MK2 (as they seem to be plentiful second hand)

Has anyone done this or have any idea how difficult it would be? Both cars 1.8

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm, decent, i.e. aftermarket, quality item that may improve performance

Reasonable price, i.e. preferably used

Mk1 = obvious

Mk2 = different length so will need to modify something? and/or add brackets etc. I don't know exactly, hence the question.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
i swear ive seen 3+ aftermarket mk1 manifolds for sale on this forum alone in the last month so they cant be that uncommon?

im not in the market for one so cant say i really pay attention to them being for sale so there may have been more, as for the actual topic im not sure what would be involved but surely it would be more worthwhile to get a less reasonably priced one that fits your car rather than having to cut up something that was designed to work the way it is made already?

im sorry i dont see the logic (or lack of, im not sure) in what you would like to do

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Which is what I was getting at at least 10 mk1 manis come up for every mk2.

Anyway the differences are as follows the flange fitting to the cat is completely different on the MK2, so you will need a mk1 flange to weld on, not just a case of moving the 1 on there. Also the EGR pipe is on No.4 branch on the MK2 and No.3 on the MK1. All said and done I wouldn't bother, just buy a right one to start with.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i swear ive seen 3+ aftermarket mk1 manifolds for sale on this forum alone in the last month so they cant be that uncommon?

im not in the market for one so cant say i really pay attention to them being for sale so there may have been more, as for the actual topic im not sure what would be involved but surely it would be more worthwhile to get a less reasonably priced one that fits your car rather than having to cut up something that was designed to work the way it is made already?

im sorry i dont see the logic (or lack of, im not sure) in what you would like to do
Thinking I must be going blind or mad I have just looked back through the for sales as far as Mar 09 and sure enough, 9 manifolds for sale. All either MK2 or for a MK1 1.6.

What's a bloke to do. This is the reason I asked the question. From what I understand the 1.6 is a no way job and as Miles says, there's work to do.

Looks like you have answered my question boys and I will heed your advice. I will keep a good look out for a 1.8 MK1 jobber.

Thanks

Rossi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.