Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically i bought a new steering wheel and boss and want to know if my car has an airbag. Its a '97 mx5 uk spec 1.6. On the dash the is a airbag light but it doesn't light up when i turn the car on (not sure if it should or not but it doesnt?). is there any other way of telling if i have one, does it say anywhere? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
150 Posts
a air bag light would show im guessing

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, that looks way different to mine. mine also only has one bolt in the back in the middle. i will still disconnect the battery when i change it i think just to be on the safe side. thanks for your help!

·
Registered
150 Posts
mite sound silly but yours isnt the momo one with the front that comes off is it?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
It should say airbag on the centre pad of the wheel if one fitted. My 96 UK mk1 didn't have them fitted but sure they fitted them after that date up to Mk2's, when not sure?
Post a pic as said.

Mick

·
Engineers Do It Better.
293 Posts
You will know when you try and take it off if it has an airbag - if you have to unscrew bolts from the side at the back and remove a big heavy lump from the front of the wheel in order to get to the central nut that releases the steering wheel, you have an airbag. if you can get at the nut without removing anything, or only have to remove a light flimsy cover, you don't. The airbag will be attached with a wire if it is there.

·
It's not the destination, It's the journey
1,594 Posts
Not being funny but if you dont know what a steering wheel airbag looks like should you be even touching a critical thing on your car with out basic knowledge, I dont think you should to be honest

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
We used to take airbags out quite a lot at my old work. Even though you knew you had followed all the correct protocol and as long as you weren't stupid it wouldn't go off, you never really felt comfortable holding one!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
guys, you can stop talking about how dangerous they can be on here now. i know what to do if i do have one, i just wanted to know whether i had one and after all the help i have been given im 99% sure that i don't have one.

·
finds titles too "mainstream"
5,156 Posts
Drive into a wall, if you see a big white thing punch you in the face it had an air bag (or that "wall" was actually a polar bear).

·
Engineers Do It Better.
293 Posts
I was going to swap out my air bagged wheel for an aftermarket one soon. After this, anyone want to so it for me? Lmao.
Haha don't worry overly IMO - if you follow all the safety precautions noted elsewhere and treat it with respect it'll be fine! I was shitting it when i had to remove mine though

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.