Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
[The instructions above won't work at all for an Mk2. The gauge cluster doesn't have a reed switch in it, so that won't work. What you can do, is cut the wire going to terminal 2D on the ECU. This is the speed signal going to the ECU].

Ok thanks but now the next question I read on another link that there is a white / black wire on the back of the speedo cluster that can be disconnected or cut is this correct and all that is needed ?
Or if as you said about cutting the wire on 2D on the ECU where is the ECU located and mine has been fitted with a DASTEK unichip Q + piggy back ecu switchable maps.....

Forgive me for asking this MX5 thing is quite new to me and I am still finding my way round stuff with it.....I just want the limiter off.....

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,551 Posts
... I read on another link that there is a white / black wire on the back of the speedo cluster that can be disconnected or cut is this correct and all that is needed ?
Do you have a link for that? Other years may vary but the only black/white wire I know of back there is the tacho input to the rev counter. It wouldn't be a useful wire to cut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93524&st=0

This was the link although it was also refering to fitting a speedview device.....but reading between the lines I saw the bit about the white / black wire to be disconnected to remove the limiter......I was also thinking that for trackdays etc I could disconnect the speed sensor on the gearbox which by rights should de limit the car I can put it back after for road use untill I get a conclusive fix........
One thing I don't get is the car speedo reads in MPH so why hasn't the limiter come off too ? All my other jap cars I have had when the speedo was converted it removed the limiter by default......so as you can understand I am scratching my head a little bit !

Thanks for any advice and help

·
Dimitris
1,570 Posts
That's probably the same wire - 2D is indeed white/black.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats the answer I was hoping for ! I will make do with disconnecting the speedo sensor for Thursdays track day then look at the D2 wire later on......Cheers for the info....

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,551 Posts
One thing I don't get is the car speedo reads in MPH so why hasn't the limiter come off too ?
That would depend on whether the conversion was done by gearing down the output from the gearbox or just changing the speedo faceplate to mph. If you just swap the metric 180kmh faceplate for one which reads up to 120mph, the limiter will remain. If you changed the sender at the gearbox so it only runs 5/8 as fast, then your 180kph speedo will now read to 180mph instead and the limiter will move up to 180mph. (That's probably easier on Mk.1s with their mechanical speedo drive.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apologies for resurrecting this thread but, does anyone have pictures of this 1.8 reed valve for the Mk1/NA, that needs to be removed?
I cannot find anything anywhere unfortunately

Many thanks

21 - 27 of 27 Posts