Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Horn Not Working

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Liam_Bee 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have bought a used Momo steering wheel with boss and horn push off ebay. I fitted it and it worked and then it stopped working. I dismantled it to see if there was something wrong, could see anything untoward.
Heres what I have:
When the horn is pushed I can hear a clicking from the left side of the engine bay (relay)?
I have over 12 volts at each horn spade connector.
If I take the spade connector off the rear of the horn push and touch it to the metal ring the horn push sits on at the center of the wheel I it clicks.
I have put the old steering wheel back on and it does the same.

I would really appreciate any input you could give me on this one as I am at a loss just now

Thanx

Bill

#4 ·
Has to be either the horns have a bad earth or they have packed up if you are getting 12v at the horn spade connectors, I would..

1) take the horns and brackets off and give it all a good wire brushing to clear any corrosion - they earth via the fixing screw and bracket.
2) ******* test the horns by wiring them direct to a battery/booster (live to spade, earth to bolt, wear ear protection and be very careful!!)
3) pm me as I have some spare horns I could send you :)

#5 ·
Hi Liam, thanx for the reply. I haven't tried the direct wiring approach, I suppose I should really. What I find most confusing is when I fitted the new steering wheel I did nothing under the bonnet, actually I didn't even have the bonnot open. The horn was working with the old wheel on and immediately after The 'new' one was put on. Surely, the chances of two horns breaking at the same time is very rare.

Regards

Bill

#7 ·
If you can hear the relay clicking, that would say the button side of the circuit is working. It may just be sods law that a bad earth has occured at the horn after you fit the wheel!

Might be wise to check continuity between the relay and the horn (although that's quite a faff), if not, as already said, try hotwiring the horns (carefully and with ear defenders!) and or testing the relay.

Chris

#9 ·
I suspect sods law at play, with a bad earth - you said you were getting 12v at the horn spade connectors so that pretty much rules out the wiring upto that point?? Only way I could think
that the horns themself would both go bad would be if you left the battery connected when working on the steering wheel and somehow sent lots of small pulses to them, but that would probably do the relay in first?

#11 ·
Each horn (early models only have 1 horn) has only 1 spade connector and this goes live when the horn is pushed, a quick way to check without a multimeter is to put a bulb onto the spade and earth against the body and see if it lights when you press the horn (side reflector bulb holders are great for this sort of thing!!)

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Same thing happened to me when I changed my steering wheel. It was a bad earth on the inner rim of the steering boss, where the push-button earths. Try spinning the push-button around a few times and it should make better contact. Also try a prise it out a bit more so the contact is more firm. You may also find that pushing the horn button at the 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock position may also work. It's trial and error. Otherwise - your horn has problems in other areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.