Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi
My wife and I have decided it would be fun to have a go at some trackdays.We have not done this sort of thing before, but Sue has had her Mx5 a while and as it is a great drive we have bought a Mk1 1.8 to have a go with it.
The mk1 is fairly tidy but needs a little work, I have a set of spare mk2 shockers with tein lowering springs if this is a worthwhile addition (should i fit them?) and apart from a K&N and exhaust is standard.
I was looking at a rollcage and seats but maybe try a couple of track days first see how we get on.
Any advice on things to do to the car is welcomed (i don't have a large budget but if we enjoy it things can be done as we go along).
I have it taxed so it will be driven to the track and on the road also.
So the next thing is i guess when and where can we take it, what should we expect and the best place for first timers so we can enjoy and hopefully become regulars

cheers Jason & Sue

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Welcome to Nutz!

I can't help with your track day questions but a bit more punctuation would make your question a lot easier to read.

Not moaning, just suggesting.

Enjoy your pair of 5s.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
One of the best places to go to start with is the MOT Mazda on Track car control days. Plenty on here do them, you get a coned off area rather than a track, so less chance of wildly running off into a barrier.

http://www.mazdaontrack.co.uk/

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
i would jump straight in with the car control day.. worth the travel for your first attempt at anything beyond road driving.
After that keep your eye on the mazda onb track site for proper track days.. disclaimer: there are also a large number of other track day companies out there offering the same tracks at similar prices but they smell!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Do a couple of track days or just come along to one posted on here
Meet a few people and maybe a few pasenger laps.

If you do think you are going to enjoy it,then and only then try these things

Best gains you can get are in the handling and experience

I have a fancy exhaust, 8 mil leads, air filter and arc induction kit...Bhp output 130.6

So No real gain there apart from Breathing easier.

I would spend the money on...

A good suspension set up (gaz , puredrive , Koni) and also get a full 4 wheel alignment done(WIM)

add a set off uprated brake pads (Axis ultimates , EBC yellowstuff) just use standard discs.

You wont get better acceleration but your cornering speeds will be higher ....so your exit onto the straights will also be higher!

The better brakes will alow later braking and more confidence know if thing go a bit wrong you can outbrake most others cars.

suspension ?500 + fitting

alignment ?100

Brake pads ?100

This should give you a great set up for track sessions.

any money left over spend on track days and then more trackdays.

See http://www.mazdaontrack.co.uk/index.asp for good advice.

After a while you will have outgrown the grip of road tyres (it took me a year and about 14 events)

Thats the time to go for racing slicks (Toyo R888 or yoko paradas) and start learning the level of grip again!

Alan

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Hi Jason and welcome
I strongly reccomend you visit or better still book yourself onto a Mazda on track track day....
Everyone will welcome you and your wife and will help you on your quest for speed......
If you do the above please come and find me as I will be at all the Mot (Mazda on track) track days this year.

I must warn you though.... Track days are a drug YOU WILL WANT MORE.

All the best
Paul

Ps my car is a mk3 race car. (Passenger rides available)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Jason and Sue
Welcome to you both. What they all said. Although for your first few outings just make sure the brake pads have plenty of meat in them, the brake fluid is new, and the car is roadworthy. MX-5s are great fun on track in absolutely bog standard condition.

You'll see from all our signatures we've got the trackday bug and consequently spent money trying to improve things on our cars. The single best thing to spend money on is the software interface behind the wheel - eg pay for some tuition from a racing driver and take up passenger ride offers to get ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.