1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
was b0builder
6,502 Posts
welcome to NUtz

run for you lives

i will start the ball rolling mk1 i dont like the mk2's

pop ups all the way

but it really depends on much you want to spend ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got 3.5K to spend and I have test driven a mk1 dakar but it had a bit if rust on the rear arches which put me off. I have heard the mk2 has a better engine and better suspension in standard form? I do love the mk1 looks though, especially some of the cars on here!!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Like the man says, it all depends how much you want to spend.

?2000 can get you a decent MKI or a shitty MKII, decent MKII's would cost in excess of ?2500 I would have tought.

You sneaked in your answer before me.

A decent MKII is within your budget, take a few test drives and see what you like.

Where are you based, perhaps some Nutzers will let you take a peek at their cars.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
If you like the MKI try getting a fresh import, mine is 19 years old and there is absolutely no rust on it anywhere. However its only been in this country for 16 months.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Easy choice mate, go for the superior Mk2....

Unless you are a bit
of course, in which case a Mk1 would probably be your best choice

Oh hang on, you're from Brighton, so.... Mk1 it is then!

(Obviously I'm kidding, they are all brilliant and with your budget you should get a decent example
)

·
Turn it UP!!!
1,311 Posts
Follow the "Smile" factor, which made you smile more when driving.

You have the money to go either way, so that isn't a factor, they both are good, the engines are near enought the same.
I would go for a late model 1.8 Jap import (Eunos Roadster) and use the money remaining to make it "your" car with all the available mods out there, power and style mods.

Welcome to the Nutz House.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Oh, and not one to court controversy, there really isnt that much difference. Most people I know:

1) i don't like pop-ups, I'll buy a Mk2
2) I like pop-ups, and boy am I a handsome devil, I'll buy a MK1

chassis/suspesnsion is the same, engine is virtually the same.

·
was b0builder
6,502 Posts
Unless you are a bit

my local college car park

oh by the way they have a beauticians training center

·
Registered
876 Posts
Easy choice mate, go for the superior Mk2....
Unless you are a bit
Oh hang on, you're from Brighton, so.... Mk1 it is then!
(Obviously I'm kidding, they are all brilliant and with your budget you should get a decent example
)

I am biased, but I have to admit- I like the Pop-ups

Get a mk2!!

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
Im on my 4th 5.

Had both mk1's and a mk2.

With your budget id be looking for a 99 (ish) mk2 import - preferably a VS or RS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the mk1 more because it looks like the original lotus that the car was based on so it is more honest. The only thing that worries me is that it has no airbags!

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
I like the mk1 more because it looks like the original lotus that the car was based on so it is more honest. The only thing that worries me is that it has no airbags!
You can sometimes find a mk1 with an airbag - normally a UK car if its a 1.8is (this model only here) and imports they were an option so it was a lottery - my car has but you dont see many.

The uk ones seem to have the big square centre to the wheel

My one has a momo airbag wheel I think - cant remember, momo or nardi airbag wheel.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The MKII front end is a tweaked version of a design mazda rejected when the were prototyping the original MX5.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts