Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Hi from Buckinghamshire

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  MK__MX5 
#1 ·
Hi from Buckinghamshire. Currently have a import marina blue that was purchased as a lockdown project. It's off the road after a very colourful MOT last year. Currently on the look out for a replacement.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
It's off the road after a very colourful MOT last year.
that bad you need to replace 😮

theres plenty of kiddies on fb desperate for project 5's so you shouldn't have a problem offloading it but getting a decent / un-molested example is getting harder:unsure:

Rich.

#3 ·
Unfortunately yes 😞 Brakes, suspension and biggest being inner sills have holes you can put your hand up. It was used as a daily so has has been patched previously. Shame but like you say I'm sure someone else will take it on. Agree with the comments on unmolested examples. Narrowly missed out on a early 1.6 with years MOT so the search continues...

#4 ·
sad

Got any pictures of it? You're local to me

#5 ·
Either way you will end up putting money down. It's making more sense financially to do the work on mk1s. Sills can be repaired without cost being too bad (depending) it's the arches that will push the cost up significantly if they are rotten too.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll let the pictures do the talking and you can let me know what you think 🤣

Font Paper Document Paper product Number
Automotive tire Grey Rim Automotive wheel system Wood
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Car

Then there is also the fact that it has a MK2 hood with glass screen that has come away from the bottom. Currently thinking either sell on, or keep as donner for a new project.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll let the pictures do the talking and you can let me know what you think 🤣

View attachment 59352 View attachment 59354 View attachment 59355 View attachment 59356 View attachment 59357

Then there is also the fact that it has a MK2 hood with glass screen that has come away from the bottom. Currently thinking either sell on, or keep as donner for a new project.
that doesn't look too bad, the failure is nothing terrible (tyre & arb link) nd the rest could have easily been taken care of...

as to the arches theres no telling untill it's cut open BUT if you had this repaired properly it's a case of 'the devil you know' 😉

Rich.

#7 ·
Oof. Yeah I hate to say it but unless you have a very strong sentimental attachment to that car, it's going to be more money than the car is worth to put that right. It's possible to repair of course - just about anything is really. It's just that for what you'd pay to put that right you could probably find a much better example to replace it. Shame though. I suspect in a few years time we'll look at cars like this and say it's worth saving.

Anyway, welcome. I'm local in MK so if you see my car about (thread in the Members' Rides forum) give me a wave.

#9 ·
That's a fair point. The bits on the MOT sheet which aren't the corrosion are simple to fix, and not particularly expensive. Easily done on the driveway at home (except the tyres obviously). And there are a few members in MK who I'm sure would be happy to help out (myself included, if I'm able)

It's the corrosion which would be putting me off though. There's some major surgery required to put that right. For sure you might be able to find a place that'll do a few patch welds to get it through the MOT but that needs addressing properly otherwise by next year it'll be a pile of dust.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys. Took the decision to invest in a new project. It's amazing what people are asking at the moment. £1500-£2000 for something that will most likely fail it's next MOT seems most common. So after much searching and missed opportunities, we had almost given up, but today managed to secure a 1990 Eunos in Red. Full years MOT and with what appears to be original sills!

Roll on the weekend!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

#13 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys. Took the decision to invest in a new project. It's amazing what people are asking at the moment. £1500-£2000 for something that will most likely fail it's next MOT seems most common. So after much searching and missed opportunities, we had almost given up, but today managed to secure a 1990 Eunos in Red. Full years MOT and with what appears to be original sills!

Roll on the weekend!

View attachment 59457
If that's original, that car must be on 10k miles lol

#14 ·
lol not quite, 92K miles but had spent the past 7 years off the road garaged after having a full respray and underseal. Still needs some TLC. Cambelt, full service, all the fluids plus usual slow wipers and windows. Oh and the wheels have to go, although they have new tires all round.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

#15 ·
lol not quite, 92K miles but had spent the past 7 years off the road garaged after having a full respray and underseal. Still needs some TLC. Cambelt, full service, all the fluids plus usual slow wipers and windows. Oh and the wheels have to go, although they have new tires all round.
All easy jobs, sounds like the hard bit is done already :)

A good local garage will transplant those tyres onto new wheels IF they are free of any defects

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.