Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
少し ロバ
1,989 Posts
Just got back from a nice drive enjoying the sunshine with the roof down listening to my newly fitted HKS Dragger around some of my favorite country roads.... Ah all's good.

Until I got home and let the car cool down on the drive when I noticed a faint grinding noise, so I pop the bonnet to have a look and notice the SC does not sound to good, it's making a very nasty grating sound, it's hard to explain but it was fine before I went out. I've been meaning to get it removed and sent to MR Fast for a services as I don't know how many miles/hours it's done since it was fitted by the previous owner.

I've been out and had a look but haven't got a clue how the bloody thing is removed so I can get it serviced, Is there anywhere/anyone in the South East (Essex)other than mx5mad/Dandy cars that can get it off for me ??

I'm off to hang my head in shame for my mechanical ineptitude

·
少し ロバ
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well where there's a will there's a way SC now removed along with the JR tensioner and in the process of fitting my new (to me) BRP belt tensioner
don't know what I was worried about....it's a piece of piss

·
少し ロバ
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now finished fitting the new tensioner, bit of a ball ache got it on and the bolt hole on the PAS pump didn't line up took about 10 minutes of faffing about before I realised how the pump was held on, loosened the bolt and swung it up a fraction, hey-presto jobs a good-un.

I also had to move the PAS pipe to the steering rack to clear the new tensioner not to sure I've got it right couldn't think of any other way of doing it, can anyone see any problems with the way I've routed the pipe ?

I replaced the throttle cable and offered the SC back up and there's no clearance issues and the bottom of the pipe is well clear of the AC compressor so I hope it's OK.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I also had to move the PAS pipe to the steering rack to clear the new tensioner not to sure I've got it right couldn't think of any other way of doing it, can anyone see any problems with the way I've routed the pipe ?
I had to do something similar when fitting a TDR tensioner. The only issue was the lack of clearance between the pipes and the bodywork didnt allow much room for engine movement. It never seemed to cause a problem since that part of the engine doesnt seem to move much though, try blipping the throttle to see if it ever interferes.

Jon.

·
少し ロバ
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once the SC is back from Mr Fast I'll give that a go, there is a couple of mm gap but I'd guess the engine will move more than that. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if the pipe gets any witness marks on it from the chassis rail.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Bad grinding sound was what we got. Needle bearing had collapsed. At least he knows where to get them now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts