Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Had my MX5 about 6 months and have had the sills and arches done within that time. Was washing it today and giving everything a check over for rust and noticed an oval shaped hole in the drivers side rear wheel arch that leads directly into the battery compartment. This looks manufactured and isn't because of rust penetration as is perfectly cut, if that makes sense. Have attached pictures below for reference.

Know that the battery trays are common for rust, and mine is okay for now, but is wet and I can presume it is from this hole allowing water in. Would anyone know what it is for, and if so, how to cover it up? Will probably weld a new battery tray in at some point when I get the chassis rails done but it is fine for now and wasn't picked up as an issue when I had the undersealing done a couple of weeks ago.

Its 12mm wide, but a 12mm wheel arch liner clip wouldn't work I don't think due to the oval shape. The near side wheel arch liner in the rear is different and covers this part, so unsure if there is a hole that side. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Water Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle tire Tread Rim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should have a plastic grommit in it.
I thought it might’ve fallen out. Do you know where I might be able to get one / what it is called as when I’ve been looking for rear wheel arch clips for that area it doesn’t seem to come up with anything. Thanks

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Mx5parts online do pretty much all the fastners n grommets etc.
Or pop down a scrappy and get 1 of a breaker.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,652 Posts
it's where babies come from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts