Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick one,

I have just got a new soft top with a heated glass window and it has the two little connecters but they don't stretch down to the connecter inside the car.

does any body know where I can get an extension from ?

Many thanks

paul

· Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
Mk1 or Mk2?

· Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
The heating elements usually have 1/4" male spade connectors on the glass.

You can make your own wiring harness for a Mk1 using 5 x 1/4" female spade connectors and some suitable wire (rated at 11A or higher).

I made mine using heavy duty speaker cable, uninsulated crimp terminals and heat shrink tubing.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the reply,

that looks perfect, don't suposse you want to make me one of those and sell it to me ?

i am not very mechanically minded !!

also just had a quick look inside and I don't know if I am being a complete idiot but I can't find a switich to turn the rear window on ?! is it altomatic, there is the rear fog light, then next along to the right is little red light and then after that the window on off switch,

but it deffinately has the connector point at the back !

any thoughts ?

Paul

The heating elements usually have 1/4" male spade connectors on the glass.

You can make your own wiring harness for a Mk1 using 5 x 1/4" female spade connectors and some suitable wire (rated at 11A or higher).

I made mine using heavy duty speaker cable, uninsulated crimp terminals and heat shrink tubing.

· Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
that looks perfect, don't suposse you want to make me one of those and sell it to me ?

also just had a quick look inside and I don't know if I am being a complete idiot but I can't find a switich to turn the rear window on ?! is it altomatic, there is the rear fog light, then next along to the right is little red light and then after that the window on off switch,

but it deffinately has the connector point at the back !

any thoughts ?
If I have 5 female spade terminals left I will make one for you. Grab a piece of string or wire, work out how long you need the harness to be and let me know the measurement. Make sure you allow enough length for when the hood is folded down.

Sounds like you already have the switch in place. There should be a relay and a fuse holder in the boot as well.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey that would be awsome !

Many thanks

I measurted it at around 45cm,

but had a look aagin at the switchs and the one in the middle with the red light comes on when you put the fog light on ! so is just related to that I think.

there dosn't seem to be a switch for the heated rear window, but there is the connector at the back,

My car is a 1996 VR ltd, could it be that it comes on automaticically when you start the car ? !

Once again much appreciated for your help !

· Registered
449 Posts
No, you need to buy a switch and fit it. However, if the connector is at the back then the stock wiring should all be in place. Pull back the carpet at the back of the boot, and check if the relay is there. Unlikely to be, there will probably just be a connector. You'll need an LA10 relay which can be picked up for ?5 off any sensible breaker. Next, look behind the battery and check for a little two-slot fuse holder. It'll likely only be there if you have an electric aerial, otherwise you'll need to source one of them too. Finally, pop out the remaining blank switch by the fog light switch and have a look for a blue six-pin connector with four wires. Plug a HRW switch into that then pop it back into place.

I'll have a scout around, I definitely have the window switch you need and I'm pretty sure I have a relay which will only leave you needing the fuse holder for the boot.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys, many thanks for all the info !.

To be honest I think it is way beyond my DIY comfort level, my basic mecanics are bad enough and the idea of pissing around with the electrics scares the shit out of me !

so I'll think I'll just stick without it for now if it's going to be complicated !

Many thanks again for you kind offers of help

cheers paul

No, you need to buy a switch and fit it. However, if the connector is at the back then the stock wiring should all be in place. Pull back the carpet at the back of the boot, and check if the relay is there. Unlikely to be, there will probably just be a connector. You'll need an LA10 relay which can be picked up for ?5 off any sensible breaker. Next, look behind the battery and check for a little two-slot fuse holder. It'll likely only be there if you have an electric aerial, otherwise you'll need to source one of them too. Finally, pop out the remaining blank switch by the fog light switch and have a look for a blue six-pin connector with four wires. Plug a HRW switch into that then pop it back into place.

I'll have a scout around, I definitely have the window switch you need and I'm pretty sure I have a relay which will only leave you needing the fuse holder for the boot.

· Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
To be honest I think it is way beyond my DIY comfort level, my basic mecanics are bad enough and the idea of pissing around with the electrics scares the shit out of me !

so I'll think I'll just stick without it for now if it's going to be complicated !
What is your location, Paul? Maybe there is a knowledgeable Nutzer near to you that could take a look and advise?

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am based in edinburgh !

And would be happy to pay a little cash to someone to sort it for me ?!

just not confident with electrics, Also have a problem with my electric arial which I looked at yesterday and then bottled again because there were loads of wires going everywhere!

I am quite happy to pay in Cash, coffee, bacon rolls etc !

I would offer my skill sback the way but I think they are limited to cleaning and polishing !!

Many thanks again

paul

What is your location, Paul? Maybe there is a knowledgeable Nutzer near to you that could take a look and advise?
[/quote]

· Registered
8,730 Posts
Hmmm interesting stuff!

I`m in the same boat having recently aquired a MK2 hood.

Once Paul is sorted out if anyone has the harness & switch going spare give me a shout please. I`ve aquired the relay but no idea if i need the fuse holder yet. There`s no electric aerial but that`s not to say there wasn`t one there in the past.

· Registered
8,730 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
Where do the wires connect?

I have a heated rear screen, the switch and the connector block on the rear shelf, but no wiring to the screen.

If i make one up, which wire goes were?

I also see that there are three wires on the block but only two go to the screen?

· Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
I also see that there are three wires on the block but only two go to the screen?
If you look closely at my photo you will see that the third connector on one end is simply spurred off one of the other connectors. This is to complete the earth side of the HRW circuit. AFAIK some cars have a limit switch in this circuit that stops the HRW from being switched on when the hood is folded down.

For a DIY harness the two spurred connectors need to go in the top row of the connector block behind the seatbelt tower and the other connector needs to go in the bottom row.

· Registered
324 Posts
Thanks niggle, i will have a go at making one up.

I know the screen works as i have used a wire from the cig lighter, just to make sure it was working.

The switch for the rear screen lights up the dash light, just hope that everything is connected to the shelf connector...

· Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
Thanks niggle, i will have a go at making one up.

I know the screen works as i have used a wire from the cig lighter, just to make sure it was working.

The switch for the rear screen lights up the dash light, just hope that everything is connected to the shelf connector...
If you bridge the two terminals in the top row of the body connector (as you would with a harness plugged in) then you should hear the relay click in the boot when you switch the HRW on. Stick your head in the boot near the NSR lamp cluster while someone throws the HRW switch.

· Registered
100 Posts
I might sound like a dumb ass - but ah well.

I have a heated rear screen in my 5. All the cables are plugged into the connector on the rear shelf. There is a button on the dash next to my fog light (which I assume is for the heated rear screen as it looks the same button as every car I've owned with one!)

but the damn thing doesn't seem to work.

What should I be checking first? Are there common problems with them?

Thanks for any advice

Hayley

· Registered
8,730 Posts
Has it ever worked?

Assuming all the connections are ok behind the seat & to the screen. Check the relay is fitted behind the panel near the boot lock in the boot. Also check the fuse in the twin fuse holder near the aerial.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.