Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are peoples views on heat wrapping manifolds. I currently have a 1.6 NA mk1 with the view of supercharging it in the not so distant future. I have bought a mazdaspeed 4-1 branch manifold and before fitting it am debating whether to wrap it or not.

I have had manifolds in the past and have never wrapped them (on other cars). Will I see any benefit or will I just risk cracking the manifold?

I have had manifolds crack before just under normal use. I have read up on wrapping manifolds and they have advised that unless you put slits in the wrapping they will eventually crack due to the build up of heat.
I have also read that heat can be transfered back up to the engine as it cant escape through the manifold.

Please discuss the negatives and positives of wrapping a manifold. I'm not charged yet but hopefully will be.

·
4 Speed, 4 Star
2,789 Posts
Ask Mr Fast (http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42153&st=0&p=567063&hl=18%20manifold&fromsearch=1&#entry567063)

I would just stick a TDR heat shield on, they come up for ?60ish every now and again.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
im gonna be doing ceramic coatings i the not to distant future.

I wouldn't bother though. save your money its just silly lol

·
Premium Member
19,520 Posts
Hrm Ceramic coatings.... I don't get how something 0.00001mm thick can appreciably stop any heat escaping.

I wrapped my OEM manifold back in Jan, granted it's not been on long but it's still in the same condition as when i fitted it and the engine bay is considerably cooler. I'm quite impressed with the difference. you definately want to do something if you're sitting a charger over the top of the manifold.

Doldy sells it uber cheap, (otherwise i wouldn't have bothered). You get tons of it, enough to wrap your mani twice.

·
Miss me?
4,552 Posts
I have a 1.6 & received my 4-2-1 last Thursday thanks to Gareth (Hooligan), fitted it on Friday, wrapped it on Saturday & had the M45 SC installed on Sunday thanks to Andy (Mr Fast) - errrrrrm in hindsight it would have been a damn site easier to wrap prior to fitting to the car.........you live & learn

I got my exhaust wrap from Demon Tweeks at a cost of £22.96 for 15'x2"........was about the right amount required to cover the 4 down pipes, or you could try contacting 'Doldy' as mentioned by Mr Slow

Just don't get the 1" or it will take you forever to wrap & there's no advantage whatsoever.

**HINTS**

(1) Cut the entire length into 4 equal sections.....for the idiots out there this means cut in half, then half again.

(2) Moisten one section by spraying with water, this will make the wrap pliable **DO NOT SOAK IN BUCKET** - I emptied the wifes window cleaner down the toilet & used the empty spray bottle.

(3) Start at the top (nearest the engine) by wrapping one full turn, then bond them together with Cyano (superglue). The moisture will activate the glue quickly so make sure you get it tight before you bond.

(4) Continue to wrap around the pipe leaving as little overlap as possible - I left approx 3/8" (10mm), making sure that it's nice & tight by pulling on the loose end every couple of turns until complete.

(5) Bond the end using the same procedure as (3).

(6) Locking tie or wire-lock each end to ensure that the wrap remains fast - you can purchase bands separately, I used 1mm stainless TIG wire (coz I've got loads of the stuff) to wire-lock, which in layman's terms means to loop around the pipe/wrap & twist the ends together until firm.

(7) Duplicate the procedure with the remaining 3 pipes.

Just in care you're thinking about leaving the manifold exposed - I took my car for a blast prior to fitting the wrap to see if the new manifold would generate any discernible amount of extra heat in the engine bay & in short it fcukin well did............a LOT
...........So get it wrapped

Wot I got: Cool-It (Demon Tweeks)

Locking ties: Locking Ties (Demon Tweeks)

·
Registered
769 Posts
I am fitting an s/c in the next few months and was considering wrapping the exhaust too. How much of a ball ache is it to do while it's on the car. Also as i'm fitting the wb 02 in stock position with a heatsink, will the additional heat cause this to overheat more? (sorry to poach the thread Guitarjon)

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
There's all sorts of pro's & cons to wrapping your manifold, a quick internet search will bring up 1000's of links.
At the end of the day though it's your choice, you could opt for a heat blanket as suggested above, and the TDR one is very nice.

PS: if you get an aftermarket manifold you may find the "stock" O2 sensor position is a bit further down the manifold, which may mean it doesn't get quite as hot (depending on if you wrap the manifold), but you may have to extend the wiring to reach it.

·
9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.
20,813 Posts
Hrm Ceramic coatings.... I don't get how something 0.00001mm thick can appreciably stop any heat escaping.

I wrapped my OEM manifold back in Jan, granted it's not been on long but it's still in the same condition as when i fitted it and the engine bay is considerably cooler. I'm quite impressed with the difference. you definately want to do something if you're sitting a charger over the top of the manifold.

Doldy sells it uber cheap, (otherwise i wouldn't have bothered). You get tons of it, enough to wrap your mani twice.
Ceramic coating when it works

Ceramic coating when it doesn't work

Tis mental to think that such a small thickness can have an impact, it does work though mate we have ceramic coated pieces on machines at work and you can tell from 2m away when the coating has failed.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a good idea then. Im not fitting it just yet anyway. May wait until I get chance. Bought the gaskets so might have a crack at doing it myself. Just hope it is the same length as the one I take off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Gix you dolt that's not a coating it's a ceramic tile on the shuttle!

EDIT: I do take your point it works tho, dint see how but if experience says otherwise
It's a ceramic coating on a polystyrene tile/block, isn't it? I thought that was why they could be so easily damaged by falling ice on lift off?

Wikipedia said:
An uncoated High-temperature reusable surface insulation tile held in the hand feels like a very light foam, less dense than styrofoam, and the delicate, friable material must be handled with extreme care to prevent damage. The coating feels like a thin, hard shell and encapsulates the white insulating ceramic to resolve its friability, except on the uncoated side. Even a coated tile feels very light, lighter than a same-sized block of styrofoam.

·
Daddys little soldier!
1,712 Posts
Well I took my manifold off this weekend and its cracked to death. I'm aware that the manifold needed bracing due to the weight of the turbo which wouldn't have helped. However I'm wondering if the heatwrap on it didn't help. My dilemma is whether to wrap the new manifold or leave it.

I wish now I had taken the TDR heatshield off my Mk1 before I sold it now. It was so much easier and meade a big difference to underbonnet temperatures.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I wouldn't from experience.

Superchargers I would put a blanket underneath the charger, but not wrap the manifold.

And there is a lot of difference between NASA coatings and "normal" ceramic coating.

Pat...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I found wrapping my manifold caused heatsoak into the engine itself, but I wrapped the downpipe and it seems to work well.
just the downpipe not the manifold? and how do you know its heatsoaking the engine?

I need to make a decision as i was planning on wrapping mine next week when i do the clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts