Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Just a quick one as I run out to a party. The IGN line enters top left, trace 2. Heads to the temp, then carries on labeled IGN

I will add more... late

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Looks like power visits the temperature gauge first, then fuel gauge. If they were both off, I expect the binnacle had no power. Perhaps the top left plug has worn the trace away, making it intermittent.
After the temp, it loops up past where something solders through. I put a circle here as an area of interest. The power then comes down to a few warning lights. Another circle here indicated an almost definite fault. A copper trace has corroded, where power should be reaching a screw. You obviously have some eyelets to daisychain some of these live screws together, if the track between them has failed. No need to repair the track in such cases. Eventually the live gets around to the oil pressure gauge.

Reading again, you had the rev and water, but not the fuel where the power must of passed by. The plug top right might not of allowed the fuel sender connection. I think a good look at the plugs might be needed. Perhaps they are not going on properly.

If we are talking speedometer, are they not mechanical things? Usually we change the face plates, but it seems you changed the whole clock. Might the cable drive be different?

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

Attachments

Reactions: boosted

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thx i will have detailed look, i dont see your first circle but an arrow is present, the strange thing when i pulled either plug alternately last year trying to trace which worked what.. the tachometer died, ref the speedo, its not hooked up to the box yet as its a mk 2 box electric mileometer, and requires the mechanical meck bits fitted in the box... thx for your bother..but more than I will find this useful..w

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
If we are talking speedometer, are they not mechanical things?
yes - on NA / Mk1 Mx5's (mk2's & newer are electronic.)

Usually we change the face plates, but it seems you changed the whole clock.
saves re-setting the needles 'zero' position?

I did investigate mk1 dash clusters & speedometers & the differences between UK / Mph & Japaneese (Eunos) Kmph speedometers

^^ some thoughts and I've much more written somewhere 🥴 🥴

also if you've got time, check the kmph speedo face, it may have a 'ratio' marking?

the one I've photographed in the link above shows 1024rpm for 60 mph...

Might the cable drive be different?
theres a few different ratio speedo-drive gears in the gearbox & these alter the cable's rotational speed so the speedometer's displayed speed.
the fittment of the cable on the gearbox & speedo ends is common for all mk1 production I believe :unsure:

theres a curve-ball in the mix, jdm 'grey' imports sometimes had a reduction-gearbox fitted in the speedo cable after import in an effort to bring the kmph speedo reading inline with mph (saves stripping the cluster to replace gauge faces?)

^^ one I found...

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
ref the speedo, its not hooked up to the box yet as its a mk 2 box electric mileometer,
^^ Fitted in a mk1 / mecanical cluster?

what have you done re. wiring?

requires the mechanical meck bits fitted in the box
easy task, one m6 (10mm head) bolt & withdraw mecanical 'drive' / insert electronic 'hall effect' sender(y)

3 wires, live, earth & signal iirc.

Rich.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i had a very intensive close up with magnifcation and examined at all the places where you indicated perhaps an issue may have developed. and none were evident..i tightened every blooming screw on the board... so i will retry it yet again now..and no difference at all..still dark...w

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yesterday a local jap mx5 chap contacted me with the loan of a spare Jap dash , this was tried supposedly working and zero results, later we checked again to see if we could get 12v at track 2 and zero V apparent, We checked every pin some lives were found mostly to do with illumination...w

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
a question I asked to Martin in mx5city and others including a local breaker was there something silly in the loom left unplugged which ''no logical mechanic'' would associate with hooking up dash power, i havent finished the dash and left everything unplugged as i intend to fit some separate accurate guages for water temp and oil pressure, leaving myself room to poke wires about and get my head or a mirror in. thats another thing, the blower ain't working despite being plugged in before i refitted the tombstone front...my idea was to refit the binnacle last as i planned a small loom to carry all the earths and lives and light power in one swoop lright to left ..w

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Update....had a experienced spark over last friday we worked for 5 hours checked all sorts ,it turned out to be a small live wire running in that no2 track came and went live then when plugged to the dash nothing , then he spoke about my earths some good some not same type of earth,we removed them ,he lost me there, albeit marked with minus sign of the copper film... we also found background illumination issues and a red wire showing earth, it blew 2 15amp fuses then seemed to settle and worked the dash bulbs and has gone back again, then 3 days later my new used jap dash appeared, i fitted known good illumination bulbs, a clear unmarked screen, hooked it up and found all previous faulty dash guages now working very slowly on the fuel one at the start..now to see why a previously strong blower isn't working...w

21 - 32 of 32 Posts