Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems you need to have the same number stencil on the dash binnacle as one you wish to replace for whatever reason, mine was pulled out to fit a mileometer when i put it back only the rev counter and water temp worked, recently had the dashboard out, cleaned it repainted the steel bar which locates it and revamped it rubber washers on fixing points and when the binnacle was replaced nothing worked. i understand from another mx5 owner with much more experience than me on mx5s that they all operate through the ECU, I have checked mine for breaks and corrosion, the only thing that seems to work is the bulb which flashes when trafficators are operated.. is there a main fused p0wer source which may have blown, i know i didn't haul it around when working in the area, not my first venture around dashboards.. anyone?? w

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Does this mass failure include the back lights?
With so much gone off, the ground seems the only option. There can't be many other things common to all them separately fused circuits. I presume the car still runs.

I'm pretty sure the rev counter and oil light are not ecu controlled. The tach comes from the coil pack iirc.

·
layabout
2,637 Posts
recently had the dashboard out, cleaned it repainted the steel bar which locates it and revamped it rubber washers on fixing points and when the binnacle was replaced nothing worked.
there are earthings to the dashboards steel frame, maybe try a flying-lead as earthwire from the frame to the cars body?

stupid question but.......

have you connected all plugs?

;)

I'm pretty sure the rev counter and oil light are not ecu controlled
early / mk1 1.6 cars use the ignition igniter to trigger the revcounter, believe all others use ecu signal.

oil light?

oil gauges work by 'signal to earth' on the engine through the sender.

Rich.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As i said i had the dash out i mean in bits totally i have a couple of earths all well grounded, ON THE BINNACLE PART its all plastic, THERE ARE NO EARTHS except those that i expect run in with the 2 multi plugs, multis have been checked, cleaned and nothing looks amiss, i didn't bother with the hardtop HRW Warning loom wire, and theres no other plugs that in my opinion should have any effect logically ..i'll check the tail lights and other fuses now.. but some earth must be working as i said the bulb warning for indicators is lighting up..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just back in. all rear lights operational, all bloody fuses intact, inside and under bonnet.. i have an old binnacle to check a few things and i'll find a way of adding a separate earth to it, strangely mentioned this to a tek friend on friday, he was swamped and couldn't take a looksee. he said if he remembered correctly those old ECU's worked / depended through / on earths..w

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Sorry Will. Watching that unfold, I should of been clearer lol

It really does sound like an earth issue. Talk of rubber isolation being fitted seems like it could be involved. It's a long time since I was poking about in there, but the wiring diagrams do talk of where the earth points are. Do you have the diagrams?
My browser isn't willing to open the link I have saved http://www.madracki.com/YYZpZ/miata/images/wiring/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did some earthing this afternoon it didn't make a pin of difference.. 4 flyleads screwed to all the indicated earths on the copper sheeting.. and wired earth pushed onto the 5 earth terminal plate just below the screen on driverside...I now intend to see if its getting 12v..I haven't a radio installed yet..and the room fuse, big separate piece in the middle of the cabin fusebox, when I checked looked perfect...there must be some 12v live coming in as the bulb for indicators is showing green as is the hi beam, blue one..

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,632 Posts
What year is the car? I have an idea it's an early 1.8 but I forget. It's an intriguing puzzle (even though I appreciate it's a mighty pain in the backside for you).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Martin, its a 93 jap import was AUTO.1.6 just changed the box to 5sp.. this all started LAST YEAR WAY before i did any removal of the dash..... i changed the speedo to mileometer put it back and lost the fuel guage, then the rev counter then the oil press , the rev counter and water temp came back , at the moment i have nothing .. the surprising thing is everyone says only swop to and from same binnacle number as yours, why is my question, surely with thousands made they wouldn't bother to do everything different mine was made in 1992/1993.. reg'd in 93 is there anything around and in below the dash that i may have left unconnected that would have an ''illogical to any sane mechanic'' effect on this issue..w

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Those 4 and the engine related warning lights all get power from the 10a meter fuse. I'm a little mystified by the fact it also powers the 4at control unit through the overdrive switch. Is that auto stuff you pulled? You could have a plug floating that used used to go on the auto box? If so, it could be a problem for the fuse, if it were to find ground. Forget that for now though, it's something else.

Of the 4 gauges that packed up, two came back. At that time you are proving the meter fuse works, and the plug at the binnacle, along with the grounding. If power is getting to two guages, but not the rest, then the break in the circuit is between them. It is surely on the foils somewhere.

Now I might have the wrong car in mind, but at times I have seen foils have to go around stuff, and so are made in halves that screws and such pin together. Perhaps even lamps wedged in, holding foils together. I have essentially seen some right 'rubbish' in my time. Foils are notorious for cracking if disturbed. Many times, gauges tap the foil by bolting through it, and if the foil goes, these bolts can offer a means of connection. Soldering foils isn't an option. Heated screen paint... maybe.

At this point a good image of the foil would be good. I might be able to draw over it, or deduce how the power gets so far around then stops.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
friendly 1,
thanks for your assistance, i will provide good shots if you message me your email address, of the 2 that initially came back they are now out as well, i have 2 new pens which claim to be able to provide a continuing contact for this issue..w

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Have you tried tweaking down the m3 screws from foil to gauges. They dont just hold in place there part of circuit. In addition the added blue/ black wire...additional earth? I eyelet is larger? That could have continuity to spare foil connection? And maybe if ecu earth not chassis earth on binnacle?
I.e that additional wiring is grounding signals.
When i had mine out 92 1.6. For silly fascia graphics.. my indicators also made the oil pressure gauge go funky....just had to tweak the screws holding the foils to gauges abit tighter.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
boosted, thx for your input, i have now contacted the guys at mx5 city for advice or their no 26 dash... yes those are earths i added, and its not my first jaunt with those copper films at 30 years old they are fraught with poor contacts... will

1 - 20 of 31 Posts