Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· My name is Nick...
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having searched the forum, there seems to be positive feedback from those who have properly de-powered the PAS rack (ie opened the rack to remove seals, welded up the pinion, sealed up the unions etc, as opposed to just ditching the belt or looping the pipework)

There's a few of "For track driving this is one of the single best things I've done" type comments, but the only negative comments / regrets have been from folk who have tried it by removing the belt etc and then decided it wasn't for them.

The rack is now on the bench ready to be stripped, but has anyone done this properly and really not got on with it on track?

· Registered
324 Posts
I followed the flyin miata forum guide to depower the rack and hated it, for track I agree it's probably quite good - however I use it for the road, drift days, donuts, trackdays and I felt I needed the quick response from the steering to correct oversteer which is the fun of the mx5. From a depowered rack I found it difficult to respond quickly to oversteer.

My kit car has a quick rack (None powered) and it is spot on, but it does have less turns lock to lock so why it works.

· Spinning around
3,553 Posts
Having searched the forum, there seems to be positive feedback from those who have properly de-powered the PAS rack (ie opened the rack to remove seals, welded up the pinion, sealed up the unions etc, as opposed to just ditching the belt or looping the pipework)
I'm considering this also. I have heard only positive comments from people on track days with the only caveat being that parking equates to a gym workout. As a bonus, it might gain you an extra 1-2 bhp?!!

· Registered
225 Posts
Is there a reason you want a due powered rack as opposed to fitting an unassisted rack?

· PANDAfactory
4,829 Posts
The unassisted rack is slower.

I have a depowered rack and love it. I've experienced no real downsides other than the steering being slightly heavier at parking speeds. I definitely don't share GBaggotts's findings of it being slower to respond to oversteer. The steering still self-centres exactly the same and will pull on corrective lock on its own. It's not something I consciously realise I'm doing but I've seen from videos and passengers commenting that I let go of the wheel and let it steer. Are you sure you put the alignment back exactly as it was before?

You get so much more feel with it de-powered.

· Premium Member
19,296 Posts
The steering still self-centres exactly the same and will pull on corrective lock on its own. It's not something I consciously realise I'm doing but I've seen from videos and passengers commenting that I let go of the wheel and let it steer.
Ditto

You get so much more feel with it de-powered.
Feel or weight? I've noticed no extra feel with a manual rack, only more weight. I prefer the operational PAS personally.

· Oh, hai!
4,970 Posts
I believe, but don't take this as gospel, that a PAS rack is about 2.5 turns lock-to-lock and a non-PAS rack is about 3.

· PANDAfactory
4,829 Posts
Feel too. The assistance removes some of the detail and adds a layer of noise. You can actually feel the assistance ramp up and back down throughout the turning movement. This adds inconsistent feedback.

The standard MX5 PAS system is very good though.

· Registered
341 Posts
Not entirely sure if I'm qualified to comment here (having a standard non-PAS rack on my track car), but having owned both power assisted and non power assisted it feels so much better.

As Ste says, the amount of communication you can get from the steering goes up quite dramatically. Parking is not a hardship unless you have silly wheels like the ones my car came with, with my replacement 15x7's parking is a doddle.

If I end up owning another MX-5 in the future, it wont have PAS.

· Registered
324 Posts
Yeah to be fair when I 'attempt' to drift on track I let go of the wheel and then PAS or not probably doesn't make much differnce due to the self centering.
However for small drifts on the road I haven't the balls to let go of the wheel so prefer the PAS.

· Registered
225 Posts

· My name is Nick...
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any of you guys do Auto Solo's without PAS?

Having driven just without the belt, its horrific - how much lighter does it get when done properly?
Having reassembled the rack on the bench with no seals in it, it is immediately obvious that it's easier to move the rack up and down than it was.

· My name is Nick...
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds promising then!are you going to fill the rack with fluid once re assembling?

Keen to see what you make of it, we all know at high speed it will be great, but is its still workable at low speeds
No, just greased it up. Got to be honest, I'm not overly fussed about low speed as it's track only, but if you're autotesting then I guess it's more important.

I'll report back when it's all together. Hopefully it'll be back in tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.