Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone converted a hardtop from glass to plastic window? I have a heated screen glass window and will never use it and the weight saving it tempting, equally I don't want to waste a nice heated glass screen. Do the inner bolts if removed allow the glass to be easily lifted out so it can have another life without breaking it? Is ctting an fitting a plastic window easy? Any templates on the net?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Anyone converted a hardtop from glass to plastic window? I have a heated screen glass window and will never use it and the weight saving it tempting, equally I don't want to waste a nice heated glass screen. Do the inner bolts if removed allow the glass to be easily lifted out so it can have another life without breaking it? Is ctting an fitting a plastic window easy? Any templates on the net?
The glass is bonded in as far as I know (could be different for different makes of hard top though?) and you will have to cut it out I'm afraid. I took the glass out of one and it wasn't easy! You will need a good flexible blade to get behind the glass and even then it will feel like the glass might break. To make a perspex one fit you will have to heat shape it to go round the corners and I think on the original Mazda hard top the window is curved in both directions. I would just keep it like it is if I was you mate.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I imagine setting the plastic over the glass as a template would work. You would have to trim some rubber away to expose the entire surface but so far no trouble. Its getting the window out and just whats going to be left thats a concern. So i would smash the window. you can get solvents to eat screen adhesive(silicone remover?)so piddling it all away should leave the hardtop in perfect shape, and your plastic window in perfect shape. I doubt it will be a perfect fit still though lol

however, Roland dont think its a good idea so i would have to seriously look at it again

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I managed to remove the non heated glass screen on my hard a few years back, it is indeed bonded but provided you are careful it possible to remove intact.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Remove it intact - they are worth a bit.

I fitted a polycarb window to my H top - just took a template off the glass.

I pop riveted and siliconed mine on.

Its around ?30 for the poly and its not a 5 minute job but the H top is sig. lighter.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
rivets and sealer is how i done mine, but be really careful with the window.
I took mine out to paint the roof and it ended up with a polycarb window as the glass shattered. Wasnt even touching it at the time, i'd cut a bit of the old sealer away and turned around then bang.. glass everywhere... must not have liked being half sealed or something.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
i was thinking about this today, id love to take the soft top out but on the odd occasion it is nice to have the roof up with the back window up zipped.

i was wondering if there would be a way to make a polycarb type rear window for the ht thats removable cause then i could loose the soft top but still be able to have that nice open rear window thing!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so unlikely to happen without breaking the glass... knowing Rolands fabrication / moding skills and that mine are not even close it sounds likely to end in disaster so best left I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.