Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Halfords Gasless Mig - ?30

548 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Chris L 
#1 ·
Doncaster only had the one, which I snapped up naturally. Might be worth a check if you've got one local though. Comes with roll of wire, mask, wire brush, etc.

Isn't the best out there - you'd almost always be better with a gas mig, but it was ?100 down to ?30, so got to be worth a punt.

#5 ·
Might be worth it for a beginner like me. I think there is a college drop in welding course near to me. At least there was 2 years ago
Just a note: gasless migs are much harder to learn with. The arc is much less stable, and it is considerably harder to see the weld pool as you weld.

I'm not saying "don't do that", but anyone using a gasless setup to learn on should be aware it will generally take longer to get a feel for it, and considerably longer to get neat welds.

Chris

#3 ·
if it's an SIP one, you'd be better hanging onto your ?30 and using it to pay a mate in beer if you needed any welding doing.

an SIP mig is not a good start for a beginner. an SIP gasless mig is an apalling start. your welding will be crap most of the time, but half of the time, it'll be because of the welder!
tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.