Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my ignition key fits doors/boot and ignition but not the glove box or centre console box.
Mx5 mk1 uk 1993
Is it a separate key? Can I get a replacement?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
420 Posts
It would have been the same key when the car was new, but often when keys break or when cars have issues, they end up swapping bits out from other cars.

Likelihood is that the glove box has come from another car OR someone got a key stuck in the ignition and then the locks were swapped from a donor car and glovebox was forgotten.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, it looks too long which is why I thought it was possibly a different key that I don't have..
The key only goes in halfway

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
The glovebox and cubby lock are matched to the door and ignition barrels but they only use some of the wafers - the lock body is shorter.

The key should only go about 2/3rds of the way into the barrel. I have 2 MX5s on the drive where the ignition key serves all locks for the car. It looks like you either have a new ignition barrel and door locks, or the glovebox and cubby have been changed at some point.

I don't think your car would have had an integrated immobiliser originally, so if the key has a pocket in it for a transponder, you've got an ignition barrel and door/boot lock set from a later car.

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,688 Posts
Sounds as if perhaps you have a Valet key. (I didn't know UK cars came with those but Japanese Roadsters did.) The Japanese models would come with two full-function keys plus a Valet key, which you could hand over at places with valet parking. It would open the doors and start the engine but not allow access to the glove box or lockable console. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if it ought to open the boot... Can't remember. The way to distinguish the Valet key was it had a grey plastic fob instead of black.

Anyway, if that's what you have then you can get a full function key made if you have the key number. If that's not stamped on your key then you can find it hidden in the car - it's stamped on the barrel of the drivers side door lock. (So you need to take the interior card etc off the door to get access inside the door.)

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
420 Posts
Sounds as if perhaps you have a Valet key. (I didn't know UK cars came with those but Japanese Roadsters did.) The Japanese models would come with two full-function keys plus a Valet key, which you could hand over at places with valet parking. It would open the doors and start the engine but not allow access to the glove box or lockable console. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if it ought to open the boot... Can't remember. The way to distinguish the Valet key was it had a grey plastic fob instead of black.

Anyway, if that's what you have then you can get a full function key made if you have the key number. If that's not stamped on your key then you can find it hidden in the car - it's stamped on the barrel of the drivers side door lock. (So you need to take the interior card etc off the door to get access inside the door.)
The irony that most people who would use valet parking now probably have never even considered an MX-5 :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe in North America this is referred to as a valet key. You give a key to valet parking. It cannot open the boot or glove box.
I have no idea if MX5s in the UK had such keys.
Update - apologies for repeating a reply above. I Cannot see how to delete this reply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts