Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this has been asked before but im new to 5's and heard alot about the gearbox turrett, fitted a quick shift recently and my turret is dry as a bone,

question is, which oil and how much

· Registered
2,217 Posts
Don't think there's much issue with what type of oil, as long as there's some in there. Probably best to use the same as the gearbox has, although, for some reason 'slick 90' rings a bell?...

· Premium Member
19,296 Posts
90cc (90ml), engine oil will be fine but I tend to stick with gearbox oil as it possibly eventually drains into there anyway.
It's sealed off from the box it can't drain into the gearbox. If the turret is empty it's come out of where it came from/evaporated.

Use any oil you can get your hands on in the turret, it really doesn't matter.

· Registered
5,016 Posts
Chances are it does evaporate when the lower gaiter splits, hence my use of 'possibly'.

I'm guessing as the selector is linked to the internals there must be seals on the rods - and seals can eventually leak.

I've always been left with enough gear oil to use in the turret anyway, and I'm sure even if a small quantity of engine oil could find it's way through it wouldn't do any harm - it would only be about 1 part in 20 anyway.

I wouldn't use grease as I would think the mechanism would eventually hollow out it's own grease-free air pocket around the moving parts.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And as I have a short shift fitted, this extends the turret slightly should I use more

· Registered
81 Posts
Can you post if there is a noticable difference after putting in new oil? Replaced seals and put in new oil (there was a tad left, not totally dry) on mine and hoped it would improve the change...but it didn't! Looking to change the gearbox oil next.

· Registered
2,731 Posts
There's a drain bolt for the turret drivers side, check that it's not loose or missing.

As for filling, I use a combination of oils of freshly squeezed Newfoundland geese, wild boar and a few drops of smokey bacon with a twist of garlic oil.
I bet that smells choice when it gets hot!

· Registered
81 Posts
Thanks james, feel i am at risk of creating a thread hijack kerfuffle! Any particular brand or viscosity? Was thinking redline of which there are several alternatives? Also vlsd, must be a particular oil that will perk it up?

· Registered
81 Posts
I'm liking the Redline, price difference...4 pints in the pub...not something i'm going to worry about too much. Thinking the redline gl5 or Silkolene BOA 90 LS for the diff. Thanks for the advice and link to Opie.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.