Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Brand new to the forum. Just bought my first roadster/mx5 yesterday a JDM mk2 6 speed with a LSD =D

Really enjoying the car so far but it doesn't seem to want to go into gear very easily. Tired my friends mk1 and it feels brand new where I feel like I'm sturring coal!

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

There shouldn't be much play in the gearstick when in gear, no more than the mk1 you have tried.

at the bottom of the gearstick there is a a ball joint, this should have a white nylon cup attached to it, I have seen these missing, which results in a tricky and sloppy gear change.

You can get to this part by removing the centre consul and gear knob, under that you will find a rubber boot, remove the 4 x 10mm bolts that hold that on and remove it, now you will see 3 x 10mm bolts that hold the geastick to the top of the gearbox, remove them, now you will be able to pull the gearstick out of the gearbox, and you will be able to see if the nylon cup is still on the ball joint

·
Engineers Do It Better.
293 Posts
I don't think Garath supplies those - if he does you should def get from him as I'm sure you will receive the best service! But I got mine from here;

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/gearlever-nylon-mk1225-p-696.html

You'll need to check your vin to make sure which size you need. While you're at it, I can almost guarantee your rubber boots will be split, so replace that with either the mx5 parts jobbies, or there is a doctor mx5 one that is well thought of (ebay) as an alternative to the top boot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,
Pretty much as Garath mentioned, it's likely to be the nylon cup, which is this litlle pice:
www.mx5parts.co.uk/gearlever-nylon-mk1225-p-696.html

Quote from the site:

Replacement nylon cup at the base of the gearlever. Often wears and breaks up over time. There are two different sizes of these, one is for all 5 speed models from 1989>2005 & all 6 speed models up to chassis number 214807. The other larger version is for 6 speed models only from chassis number 214807 on. Click on the large photo to the right and hit next to see the dimensions, then select the one you require from the drop down box below.

the picture pretty much explains the differences.

Take out the centre console(refer to garath's post, or one of the available DIY..) and check the measures, or look for any wear signs on this.
note: it should be immerse in gearbox oil aprox 100cc
any doubt just ask..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Took this apart today and the nylon cup looks ok. However I checked my chassis number and found 203736. I then took (rough) measurements on the nylon cup and found outer diameter as 21mm and inner 16mm.

To me it looks like its the wrong one going by the handy guide above. Would this give the play in the gear knob I've got?

Also noticed that this (insert name of part
) seems to be a bit overly worn. Would this cause any trouble?

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af311/W33YUL/20130103_1416241_zpsec752dd6.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Took this apart during the week and the nylon cup seems fine. Actually seems new and fits like a dream.

As per the previously linked picture I think it's the lower shift boot. I belive you have to buy the whole gear stick for this? Looked on mx5parts and they appear to only have 5 speed sticks.

As always all help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
269 Posts
You can replace the boots, lower and upper. You should find them at MX5parts or Autolink.
You don't need to replace the whole gear stick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.