Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a mk1 red mx5 and it needs full body respraying. The car doesn't have any dents or any obvious signs of rust but there is filler close to the sills that has started pilling off... I don't know why the car has filler but I guess the previous owner was trying to hide something.

I live in Norfolk and a local bodyshop at Wymondham quoted 1000 pounds for a full respray on the same colour including preping the car.

Do you think this is a reasonable price for exterior only respray? Is there anything I should know or check with the bodyshop before deciding to give them my car? I am just afraid that the final result may not be good enough.

Also if you know any good and cheap bodyshops in Norfolk that would be helpful. Any advice is appeciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
that seams pretty reasonable tbh i payed 1200 for the respray on my civic and i did all the prep myself and it was at abit of a mates rate discount aswell

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
cheap as chips that buddy, ask if they have any of their own work you can look at first, are they a reputable bodyshop, word of mouth is usually the best way of finding a good place

Dave

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Full Spray or Exterior only???

For me a full spray is the door shuts, boot & engine bay.

I'll bow to Painter Daves knowledge in fairness, but it seems like a quick blow over, being it being the same colour quote...

There is a guy over at the dark side in London that does one for £900 & it has rave reviews.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I got a guy doing resprays inc shuts, for £500. But, it's a £500 job. It's not perfect thats for sure but if you have a multicolour car, it's an improvement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably my description was wrong. I meant exterior only without engine bay, boot etc.

Do they usually remove windscreen and hood before painting?

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if I knew that the painting would be perfect. That is why I am afraid to spend 1K on a bodyshop that I don't know.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just had mine done in 2k
"full" respray including door shuts/all of doors/under bonnet and bootlid but not engine bay.
Change of colour from black to porsche mint green for £1500. The stripped everything and refitted.
Even painted the front inner arches .
Job looks amazing. Not perfect as there is the very ocasional spec/imperfection but i am very happy with it and i am lnown to be FUSSY!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had another quote for exterior only respray at the same colour by the body center in Norwich for 2.5K (ouch!!). At least they give 3 years warranty. Too expensive for my budget.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've recently completed doing some paintwork on a friends of mines car as a favour and have been out of the business for many years so was staggered at the increase in the price of materials for a smallish job.

Therefor a large part of any quote has to be for materials.

A £500 respray would probably be very cheap job in every way I suspect.

·
Registered
473 Posts
They always say you get what you pay for.

But, I was a good customer with a paintshop had 3 cars resprayed at the paint shop. Everytime it got better and cheaper... Also helped out when I could to save labour costs.

So best to prep the car yourself it's not that difficult

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Very true but I have seen some extremely poor DIY prep over the years and this is the most important part in many respects.

If a car is poorly prepared then the final finish will be equally as poor and a waste of money.

·
少し ロバ
1,989 Posts
Just had mine done in 2k
"full" respray including door shuts/all of doors/under bonnet and bootlid but not engine bay.
Change of colour from black to porsche mint green for £1500. The stripped everything and refitted.
Even painted the front inner arches .
Job looks amazing. Not perfect as there is the very ocasional spec/imperfection but i am very happy with it and i am lnown to be FUSSY!!
You need to get some pics of that posted, I soooo want to have mine painted in Porsche peppermint Green (22R)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Be warned that if theres filler on the sills you might wanna get it checked out and get the sills welded up prior to spraying in case the filler was just covering rust.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would imagine the filler is a skim which has covered up where the sills have been previously welded.It could well be covering a multitude of sins!£1k is reasonable and about what I would expect to pay.the engine bay and boot rarely need to be done,however check for the price that they are at least going to paint the door shuts.Really the windscreen should come out too.Also check that they will be using 2k paint and will be using a basecoat and laquer-even with a flat colour.If the bodyshop is insurance approved it is usually a fairly good sign.As said before,ask to see some examples of work,and not just pictures as any old respray looks good in a pic at 5ft away.

·
Registered
74 Posts
it's always best if u don't know of a decent garage to turn up and see what that are working on and judge their work. the garage I go to is scruffy looking and not insurance approved yet all the work that has been done has always been spot on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Full Spray or Exterior only???

For me a full spray is the door shuts, boot & engine bay.

I'll bow to Painter Daves knowledge in fairness, but it seems like a quick blow over, being it being the same colour quote...

There is a guy over at the dark side in London that does one for £900 & it has rave reviews.
Gave you got a website or a phone number for the re spray?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts